What Breed/Gender are these???

TheJadeChicken

Songster
10 Years
Apr 27, 2012
Saline County, Arkansas, US
Some I am just not sure on...

What breed/gender are these? These 3 are really really tiny!!

Number 1: Fluffy Cheeks. Solved. EE Hen.

Number 2: Unnamed. Still a mystery!

Number 3: Another Unnamed. Still a Mystery.

What gender are these??
First up, my only silkie I have.

These are GLW and Jersey Giant/Barred Rock mixes. What gender are they?
Group Photo

GLW/Jersey Giant/Barred Rock-1

GLW/Jersey Giant/Barred Rock-2

GLW/Jersey Giant/Barred Rock-3 (Pretty Sure this is a hen.)

GLW/Jersey Giant/Barred Rock-4 (Thinking this one is also a hen.)

Last edited:
Okay, here are my guesses for breeds:

1: A mix, maybe between a Black Sex-Link and an Easter Egger. Or, could just be an Easter Egger (or even a poor quality Black Ameraucana).
2: Might also be a mix. Possibly a Black Breasted Red Old English Game bantam.
3: A crossbreed. Not sure what breeds went into her.

And, my guesses for genders:

1: I'm not a Silkie expert, and Silkies are difficult to sex. However, I'm going to tentatively guess pullet. How old is she/he?
1st mix: How old is it, and all your other mixes? I don't see hackle or saddle feathers, but the comb is large and red. If its older than four months or so, she's probably a female. If younger, she's a male.
2nd mix: Age is once again the determining factor. This birds feathers do appear to be more shiny than the previous bird, so even without knowing age, I guess male.
3rd mix: Can't tell for sure without knowing age. Are the hackle feathers pointy? I can't see them very distinctly in the picture. If they are pointy, "it" is a male. However, based on comb size and the way the face looks, I would guess female for now.
4th mix: Definitely a hen. The comb is dark and small, and there are no pointy feathers.

Okay, here are my guesses for breeds:

1: A mix, maybe between a Black Sex-Link and an Easter Egger. Or, could just be an Easter Egger (or even a poor quality Black Ameraucana).
2: Might also be a mix. Possibly a Black Breasted Red Old English Game bantam.
3: A crossbreed. Not sure what breeds went into her.

And, my guesses for genders:

1: I'm not a Silkie expert, and Silkies are difficult to sex. However, I'm going to tentatively guess pullet. How old is she/he?
1st mix: How old is it, and all your other mixes? I don't see hackle or saddle feathers, but the comb is large and red. If its older than four months or so, she's probably a female. If younger, she's a male.
2nd mix: Age is once again the determining factor. This birds feathers do appear to be more shiny than the previous bird, so even without knowing age, I guess male.
3rd mix: Can't tell for sure without knowing age. Are the hackle feathers pointy? I can't see them very distinctly in the picture. If they are pointy, "it" is a male. However, based on comb size and the way the face looks, I would guess female for now.
4th mix: Definitely a hen. The comb is dark and small, and there are no pointy feathers.

Not 100% sure. I don't really remember. I got the silkie back in like April/May when it was a couple of days old. So she about 5 or 6 months old. . The others are I got if July and they were about 3 weeks old. So they are about 3 or 4 months old.

Not sure of the breeds, but I own mongrel chooks so can spot gender better than I can spot breeds. But it usually helps a lot to know how old they are. Gender differences show up at different rates based on genetics, diet, environment, etc.

Here's my best estimates anyway:

1st Group: looks like they have some Ameracuana in them and maybe something like Welsummer.

1: female.
2: female.
3: male, looks like. I don't see any adult male feathering yet but his patterning and crest/wattles look male.

4: (the Silkie). Not sure but looks like possibly a male. Silkies around here don't have any normal feathering, whereas he/she's got semi-normal wings, but this might be normal for some Silkies in your area.

GLW and Jersey Giant/Barred Rock mixes:
1: female.
2: male, I'm pretty sure.
3: male, definitely. Has adult male feathering on neck and some on rump.
4: female.

Best wishes.

Any more people have any ideas? And I forgot to mention I was told the 3 first mystery ones were from a hatchery. The person didn't tell me which hatchery though. I got 25 of them from the person, but I only have 3 left. Don't know what happened. Here are some more images.

I still think the Silky looks male in most ways, though the crest and wattles aren't indicative, but American silkies seem quite feminized compared to many Aussie ones.

Best wishes.

The bottom one looks like a jungle fowl hen. She is little! There are so many of these running around our stable. They make great mothers!!

Back
Top Bottom