What breed & gender?

So quick to judge are we? Everyone i talked to said they will make a nest of there own no matter what once they figure it out

I researched internet, youtube, here, I shouldnt have to explain myself to anyone.,, or said dinner maybe 🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️ But sorry im not a sugar coater. Harsh reality.

Voice sexing is the most accurate way to sec them. The girls will have a loud distinct quack, while the boys will have a rasp which sounds similar to a dog barking. Boys will also have a curled tail feather, but that’s not always an accurate way to sex since they may be too young to have developed it or they’re going through molt and have lost that one in the process.

While a lot of people keep ducks and chickens together it should be done with caution and understanding the differences between the two. Drakes are hormone driven jerks during the matting season. Due to their differences in reproductive organs, drakes have been known to kill chickens trying to breed with them. Female ducks can be kept with chickens, but again their behavior and diet are different and it’s best for both to keep them separated. Ideally ducks should be fed duck feed specifically designed for waterfowl, you can get away with feeding an all flock diet and supplementing with treats and calcium as needed. As cheezenkwackers said they will benefit from having some kind of pond or pool. Ducks are filter feeders and must have a fresh water source that is deep enough for them to dip their entire bill into. Unless you have Muscovy, Ducks nest on the ground and can’t use steep ramps or roost bars. They need to be provided a predator safe area at ground level or the wildlife will eat them before you do. My ducks learned how to put themselves to bed within a week. Just need to provide them a safe space and put them in it every night until they know that’s their space. Once they’ve figured out that routine they’ll start to go in on their own. If you leave them to figure out where to sleep at night, there’s a good chance they’ll nest where it most inconvenient and you’ll never be able to find their eggs when they start laying.

This evening, found an egg under the hen nesting boxes, in the indented area. (First egg, just got ducks yesterday) so i made an improptu duck nesting box. Whats the chances they will nest in it, or make this there nightly home? This is in a 25x25 pen. They only free range when im
Home in pm..

Also which duck laid it ?

Attachments

• F6A6F374-B553-4545-858D-6F30D40B6259.jpeg
    F6A6F374-B553-4545-858D-6F30D40B6259.jpeg
    978.6 KB · Views: 2
  • A013AD33-1229-4073-9324-A551043136E8.jpeg
    A013AD33-1229-4073-9324-A551043136E8.jpeg
    366.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 34137C45-467D-4852-9E91-BE4263F0E6A6.jpeg
    34137C45-467D-4852-9E91-BE4263F0E6A6.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2
Just went out to start settling everyone to bed. I think i found there night spot. Think im gona gate off the section beside the roost house and roof the ducks as well. Then just gota remember to unlock it in am…. This little area is about 6 ft long x 3 ft wide

Attachments

• 1625CB59-7A26-41E2-AD7E-D535E789428E.jpeg
    1625CB59-7A26-41E2-AD7E-D535E789428E.jpeg
    678.2 KB · Views: 2
This evening, found an egg under the hen nesting boxes, in the indented area. (First egg, just got ducks yesterday) so i made an improptu duck nesting box. Whats the chances they will nest in it, or make this there nightly home? This is in a 25x25 pen. They only free range when im
Home in pm..

Also which duck laid it ?
If you’re able to box it in on at least 3 sides they may use it. Think dog house when you’re constructing a small duck house. A lot of people will even convert dog houses into duck houses.

If you’re able to box it in on at least 3 sides they may use it. Think dog house when you’re constructing a small duck house. A lot of people will even convert dog houses into duck houses.
The base is 19”x46” . Is that big enough if i box it in 3 sided?

Back
Top Bottom