What breed is a good starting point for me?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by CrazyChickensEverwhere, May 20, 2011.

1. CrazyChickensEverwhere

CrazyChickensEverwhere Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    Hello. I have a little side coop and inside I can hold maybe 5-6 standard chickens. I would really like to breed purbreds. I have an incubator, I have a run... What would be a good starting breed? I want to start with Polish But I don't know... Any suggestions. My dream is to breed seramas but I don't want to start out real hard yet, I have 1 serama rooster and 1 hen, and there in a breeding pen but I am not hatching there eggs.

2. BoltonChicken

BoltonChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Bolton, Mississippi
  3. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    Polish are wonderful chickens! They lay pretty good sized eggs too, considering the size of them. You kind of consider if you just want pets, meat birds or egg layers. That might help you decide what to get. Good luck and have fun! I love my LF polish!

4. lfreem2

lfreem2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2010
    Waxhaw, NC
    Why don't you try a heritage breed that really could use some help from someone who is looking to breed a single breed and do right by them? There are so many that are wonderful birds such as Barnevelders, Speckled Sussex, etc. I have Speckled Sussex and they are super friendly and great egg layers!

5. flowerchild59

flowerchild59 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Southern IL
    I always pick up mixed brown egg layers (I just think the brown eggs are prettier). I like the assortment of girls and each one lays a different shade of brown or have unique speckles or the such. I personally could never decide on one breed only. I like the variety.

6. naakte

naakte Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Branson, missouri
    i so NOT recommend white leg horns, they peck a whole lot on one another........ i have 7 different types of chickens and the most gentle is definately my barred rocks. they are awesome!!!

Donna in Branson

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by