1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What breed is he?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Goldie84, Mar 17, 2016.

1. Goldie84

Goldie84 New Egg

Mar 17, 2016
    Cumbria
    [​IMG]

Does anyone know what breed he is? Or if he's a cross what he could be crossed with? He's quite a big sized bird if that helps? It's not the best of pics but I'm away at the moment and this is the best pic my husband said he could get!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] He looks like a black Ameraucana. Check his legs. The picture is not 100 % definitive, but it looks as if he may have scaly leg mites.

3. Goldie84

Goldie84 New Egg

Mar 17, 2016
    Cumbria
    Thank you I will

4. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    He's a mix. Maybe Easter Egger crossed with a Black Wyandotte. He's got a walnut comb, so not 'pure' Ameraucana. Pea comb crossed with rose comb can produce that walnut comb.

5. Goldie84

Goldie84 New Egg

Mar 17, 2016
    Cumbria
    Thank you, I have another pic where you can see his leg better but I can't get it to upload at the moment. We were given him to replace our boy that we lost so we not had him that long really but we do get him from a woman who keeps chickens and has done for years.
    What should I do about scaly leg mites?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by