what breed is our rooster?

He isn't a gamefowl, his body is too bulky for that of the Bankiva type fowl (Old English, American, Irish, Australian, etc..) and he is still a young bird so he will get larger and looks nothing like a Oriental for a few reasons. The color is of no indication to breed if he was a game though most of the time, any game just about can come any color (excluding a few, like Shamos are not supposed to have the barring coloration. Most of the time if they do it is from a out-cross to Brazilian's which are Shamo crossed with Spanish (bankiva) gamefowl.)

Most of the time orientals have pea (triple), or walnut comb. This bird is straight (single) combed. This is a pure Asil (not my bird, he is from here- http://asilclub.ning.com/photo/pakistan-asil-bred-by-curt?context=latest ) you can see differences in the body, especially the "hump backs" that most of the Orientals have from what I have seen, the stocky legs, and compact muscly body of the bird. Not to mention, the short hackle feathers which do not hang over the shoulders, slightly short tail though still good length, and saddle feathers with a small compact wing, short beak, large head, and a low tail (her bird's tail stands above horizontal, which Orientals do not- or rarely do without a cross to a bankiva type fowl.) Very different from her bird if you look at the Asil and then look further at her bird, especially once you imagine him as a full grown cock.
IMG_0477.jpg

You mentioned you got him from the Assorted Red's box, I would expect he is probably a Gold Sexlink, Isa Brown or Red Sexlink (they look alike to me, with slight differences?) bred reverse so he took the color of the hens. I have heard of it happening a few times on this forum... Or he could possibly be a improperly colored New Hampshire red, he should be darker and shouldn't have white if so, but he is from a hatchery so I wouldn't expect him to be perfect in that sense.

He looks like a Modern game with his long legs, but he will fill out body wise and later they won't look as long
big_smile.png

-Daniel

PS. And I don't claim to be an expert on anything, just saying what I think.

PSS. I just noticed you said "short, fat, clustered bumps" is the bird rose combed? If so, then it's slightly confusing as that would not match any breed I can think of. And it would indicate a cross of two breeds, which does happen sometimes from hatcheries (where TSC get's their birds from).

Last edited:
Quote:
They told me that they came from a place in Tennessee when I told them about how different he is. They said they might have had a wrong chick get added in. He's 4 months old and it seems more like a rose comb. Our others we got from the same bin were all NH Reds but the roosters look nothing like him.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom