What breed is she?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by countrygalut, Mar 22, 2015.

1. countrygalut

countrygalut Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2015
    Can anyone identify the breed(s) of this hen? We inherited her from a neighbor after she repeatedly escaped their coop and found her way into ours. We got sick of returning her so the neighbors finally said to just keep her. She was a tiny hen, maybe half the size of all our other hens, I'm guessing about 2 lbs? She was an excellent momma for us and she gave us two eggs a week up until she passed away last year at over 13 years old. She was about 10 years old in these pics, and they are the only ones I can find of her. I would love to add another hen like her to my new flock!

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    Old English Game Bantam or American Game Bantam??? Just a guess.

3. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    What color eggs did she lay?

4. countrygalut

Feb 18, 2015
    Her eggs were small and white (or just barely off-white, they looked white compared to all our brown layers at least, but I didn't own any white layers to compare with).

5. ECSandCCFS

ECSandCCFS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2013
    Georgia
    She is beautiful! She looks like a mix to me

6. countrygalut

Feb 18, 2015
    Found another picture that shows a size reference with her next to one of 'her' chicks about 4 or 5 months old. It's obviously not genetically one of her chicks, just one that she hatched out for us and raised as her own [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Old English Game Bantam.

8. countrygalut

Feb 18, 2015
    That's exactly what I thought she could be when I searched breeds myself, and it seems to be the unanimous opinion on a chicken facebook group as well, so I'm going to go with it [​IMG]
    She was my first and so far only small breed hen, and I've decided to have a few little ones in this new flock. Because of a tragic fire on our property, we are forced to start completely over with our chickens. It's been hard work building the new coop, but I'm kind of excited to have a chance at something new. We're just finishing up on the roosts inside the coop, and the fencing on the run, and I've got 30 chicks coming next month. Now I've just got to find some bantam breeds locally so I can add a few cuties to the mix! I told hubby I think I even want to find a little froofhead (polish, lol).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by