What breed is this colorful chick?

It's not the breed, it's the source of the bird. Heritage usually means a very dedicated breeder who has been breeding and culling to have a flock that meets the Standard of Perfection for the breed. Temperament is one of the things culled for, as Michael said. Hatchery birds, not so much with the culling, especially for temperament.

X2 on donrae's answer. The Livestock Conservancy defines a heritage chicken as follows: A heritage chicken must be from parent and grandparent stock of breeds recognized by the American Poultry Association (APA) prior to the mid-20th century; whose genetic line can be traced back multiple generations; and with traits that meet the APA Standard of Perfection guidelines for the breed. Heritage Chicken must be produced and sired by an APA Standard breed. Heritage eggs must be laid by an APA Standard breed. http://www.livestockconservancy.org/index.php/heritage/internal/heritage-chicken

With both breeds, it frequently depends on their breeding. BYC members have frequently reported hatchery quality RIRs and NHs as aggressive (and I have experienced this myself with some of them), which isn't surprising considering there is little or no difference between hatchery quality RIRs, NHs, and Production Reds.
In fairness, I will add this: with some hatchery quality breeds such as Orpingtons, Australorps, Silkies, Brahmas, Cochins, Sussex, and Faverolles, I've rarely had any aggression issues (although these hatchery quality birds will never win any poultry contests).

I guess calling hatcheries the Wal-Mart of the chicken world is a pretty accurate evaluation. This comes from someone who both buys hatchery birds and shops at Wal-Mart
big_smile.png
. You're not going to get stellar quality from either one, but for the price what you do get isn't bad and is what most of the masses want. In the case of the hatcheries, it's female birds that basically meet the standard for the breed, that are high egg producers. That's what the market demands, so that's what the hatcheries churn out. Not a thing wrong with hatchery birds overall, but they're not show quality and some have issues such as temperament.

Kim
I guess calling hatcheries the Wal-Mart of the chicken world is a pretty accurate evaluation. This comes from someone who both buys hatchery birds and shops at Wal-Mart :D . You're not going to get stellar quality from either one, but for the price what you do get isn't bad and is what most of the masses want. In the case of the hatcheries, it's female birds that basically meet the standard for the breed, that are high egg producers. That's what the market demands, so that's what the hatcheries churn out. Not a thing wrong with hatchery birds overall, but they're not show quality and some have issues such as temperament.

Agreed

Back
Top Bottom