what breed is this guy?

He is from the feed store direct who ordered them all from Meyer Hatchery. :) Now I'm trying to purchase through breeders when adding to my flock.

I agree with everyone else on the breed. He is a very stunning bird, you got lucky with him! The comb is actually the standard for this breed and they are known for being cold hardy. It was breed so their combs don't freeze as easily in the winter, and the body to retain heat. Just a few fun facts :)

Thank you Nicole Camp! I love learning new facts about my chickens! He is the nicest rooster we have. He's the only one who hasnt tried to attack anyone. Unfortunately he's also the most picked on by the other 2 Roos. It's their own pecking order I guess. I wonder what a cross of him with my silver and gold-laced Wyandottes would look like?

I definitely will! I need to create a breeding pen. I have the space just no idea about the size or other requirements. I also have a Welsummer rooster and 2 Welsummer hens so I'd love to breed them too. If anyone has recommendations on creating/developing a breeding pen let me know!

My wyandotte rooster is mellower than the hens. Had some cochin roosters that would fight among themselves and he did not care a bit...yet when one would try and fight with him - he squashed them into submission. It only took once. He protects his girls and has never been aggressive - only becomes a pest when the feed scoop comes out.

Last edited:
If your going to allow the hen to raise and incubate, keep in mind how small the fencing has to be so they don't escape / keep from other chickens. If your going to raise it from an incubator I would just have a normal pen and collect the eggs two times a day. If you keep the young with the mom I highly recommend you supervise the first hatching. I had a Buff Orpington that killed a hatch when I didn't supervise. I personally now hatch them from inside my house and raise them till there mostly feathered. Hope this helped!

Well right now they all live together in one coop. I have 13 hens and 3 roosters all of several different breeds. I have a small pen with no outdoor access I could use. Do they need outdoor space if I'm breeding them? Also I'd be incubating the eggs.

Back
Top Bottom