What breed is this rabbit?

How much does it weigh? That's probably one of the fastest ways to narrow down the options. Rabbits can range from 2 pounds (example: Netherland Dwarf) to over 15 pounds (example: Flemish Giant). A New Zealand male should weigh 9 to 11 pounds.
I weighed him this morning and he is 7lbs.

I caught the second rabbit! The first rabbit is also getting thicker, so I don't know how much it will end up weighing. When I first weighed it, it probably hadn't eaten for a while.

Do you know what gender the second rabbit is?

A second cage would probably be a good idea, since the first rabbit is male.

Two adult males usually don't share a cage peacefully unless they're neutered (since we don't know their ages, I don't know how long you would have before this happens).

A male/female pair usually produces lots of babies. (If the new one is a female, she might be pregnant already, but if she's too young now she will almost certainly get pregnant at some point. And having a male in the cage when she gives birth can be dangerous to him, if she tries to drive him away; or to the babies, because he doesn't know to be careful fo them; and he will probably mate with her as soon as she's given birth which means another litter a month later.)

I don't know what breed the new one is, quite likely a mix, but it's pretty! There's a chance it could be a broken New Zealand ("broken" is the name for the spotted patterns.)
Breeds the new one is not:
Checkered Giant (spotted breed, but body shape looks wrong)
any breed of Lop (ears are not floppy)
any breed of Angora (does not have wool)
Rex (does not have extra-short fur)
any "Mini" or "Dwarf" breed (too big)

Thank you everyone for the info. :)

I have a few more questions:

Will orchard grass hay work, or does it have to be timothy?

What is a good size for a pen where it could get exercise? I am planning to keep it outside in a hutch,( one side of the hutch is wood slats so it doesn't always have to stand on the wire.) and let it hop around in a pen sometimes for exercise and grass.

Can You give a rabbit free choice with pellets? That is what I have been doing so far, and it only eats about 1/4 to 3/8 a cup a day. ( I'm not sure how much it weighs yet, but it's definitely heavy.) It also gets some romaine lettuce and unlimited grass hay each day.

Back
Top Bottom