What breed is this rooster?

They can be…but young, hormonal males will suffer in a situation like that because the thing they want to do most is…you can guess. Some maybe 4-5 month old pullets, introduced safely and slowly so there’s not much aggression (a little pecking is fine, but extreme feather pulling and blood is not) and they’ll be a happy flock.
He doesn’t need females immediately, but at some point soon would be best. It’s great that they’re already thinking about it.
Okay great! Mostly likely then they’ll take him and let him settle in for a bit and then add some hens. I was thinking possibly that they could have both the rooster and hens but keep them in separate coops at night. Would that help with aggression issues? Also how many hens would you recommend? The new owners live near by so I’ll be checking on him frequently.

Can you roosters see the hens from their pen? Also do you ever let them mingle together?
Yes, they have a view of the large hen yard, but that doesn't cause any squabbles. The roosters and/or the hens? If so, no, we only have four roosters in with our 50-60 hens. And they don't fight either, the old guy just shows 'em what for.

Yes, they have a view of the large hen yard, but that doesn't cause any squabbles. The roosters and/or the hens? If so, no, we only have four roosters in with our 50-60 hens. And they don't fight either, the old guy just shows 'em what for.
We've only had two aggressive roosters who were problems, all the others have been perfectly fine, even though they do, or did, have their moments.

Okay great! Mostly likely then they’ll take him and let him settle in for a bit and then add some hens. I was thinking possibly that they could have both the rooster and hens but keep them in separate coops at night. Would that help with aggression issues? Also how many hens would you recommend? The new owners live near by so I’ll be checking on him frequently.
I would say at least 4 hens for this guys. Big ones, like Brahmas, so he doesn’t smush them.

Back
Top Bottom