What breed is this rooster?

hobomom

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jul 16, 2007
Idaho
Hello,

I'm not sure what breed this little roo is. It may be hard to tell from the picture but he has a double comb, mutton-chop feathers around his face, his feathers have a blue/purple hue to them in the sunlight, his neck feathers have some gold streaks in them and he is bantam size. My big girls are larger in body size (RIR, EE & Barred Plymouth). His body size is closer to the bantam hen we have.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Karen

littletinyrooster004-1.jpg

Last edited:
He didn't appear to be a fighter. He hopped into the coop a couple of times which meant we could capture him. My 10 yr old sat and petted him for a while each time. He even chuckled back when you talked to him. He appeared to be someone's pet who decided that they didn't like him anymore because he crowed so they dumped off nearly in our backyard. He roosted in the trees below our house until he heard the gals bragging about their egg laying. A few days ago we heard crowing in the yard & thought it was the rooster from the end of our drive but there he was. Little Tiny Rooster! We chased him off and he would only come back. Like a boomerang. Even if the kids chased him, he would run a huge circle to nowhere. The kids got tired before he did. As my daughter stood there holding her sides, the little roo would go racing up the hillside to be with the ladies. Such exercise! lol!

It was really funny to watch him with the hens though. He sure tried really hard to impress them but for all his fancy dancing & chuckling all he got was to get rushed by the EE & the Barred Plymouth Rock hens who gave him a few good pecks on the head. Even the one little bantam hen would stare him down and he was afraid of the pre-broody Silkie. I don't think he knew what she was except a ball of fluff with legs that made strange noises.
wink.png
But he sure was persistent in trying to win their hearts. Thankfully, I found a nice home for him where he can possibly be adopted or live out his days with some other feathered friends.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom