What breed is this?

hidezchick

Chirping
Jul 28, 2021
Hi friends! Any guesses on what breed of chicken this is? It was a free chick that I got from Meyer Hatchery back in august. I got a lavender orpington in my order and they both looked the same as chicks so I assumed that they were both LO's. I'm pretty sure I also remember that the shipment was marked as having 2 lavender orpingtons. The other chick passed away after a few days and this one survived. Now that it's older it doesn't look anything like an orpington to me. It has feathered legs, small (pea?) comb and muffs. If I had to guess I would say it's a Lavender Ameraucana but they weren't even selling that breed at the time so I am super confused. I sent an email to Meyer as well to see what they had to say.

Attachments

• IMG_5422.jpg
    IMG_5422.jpg
    334 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_5423.jpg
    IMG_5423.jpg
    668.3 KB · Views: 4

cherrynberry

🍒❤️🐓🐐🐕
Premium Feather Member
Aug 2, 2020
California
Hi friends! Any guesses on what breed of chicken this is? It was a free chick that I got from Meyer Hatchery back in august. I got a lavender orpington in my order and they both looked the same as chicks so I assumed that they were both LO's. I'm pretty sure I also remember that the shipment was marked as having 2 lavender orpingtons. The other chick passed away after a few days and this one survived. Now that it's older it doesn't look anything like an orpington to me. It has feathered legs, small (pea?) comb and muffs. If I had to guess I would say it's a Lavender Ameraucana but they weren't even selling that breed at the time so I am super confused. I sent an email to Meyer as well to see what they had to say.
You have an Easter Egger pullet!

cherrynberry

🍒❤️🐓🐐🐕
Premium Feather Member
Aug 2, 2020
California
Lavender Ameraucanas would not have feathered feet. She is gorgeous! I wish I had her! :lau

hidezchick

Chirping
Jul 28, 2021
Just heard back from Meyer and the free chick that week was an Olive Egger! I am ecstatic! Had no idea they came in this beautiful color either.

The weird thing is I purchased an olive egger in that order too and the two look nothing alike. The other is black with copper streaks on the neck and small crest like a legbar.

The-White-Elephant

Free Ranging
Nov 3, 2021
Spring Lake, NC
Just heard back from Meyer and the free chick that week was an Olive Egger! I am ecstatic! Had no idea they came in this beautiful color either.

The weird thing is I purchased an olive egger in that order too and the two look nothing alike. The other is black with copper streaks on the neck and small crest like a legbar.
It’s probably just genetics, unless the order got mixed up or something

Top Bottom