What breed is this?

LilyFhon

Hatching
Jan 27, 2024
I just stumbled upon this page by searching. In fact I know nothing about chicken breeding and I'm too young for it as well. I stumbled here because my brother talked to me about chickens and he told me this is a Rhode Island Red. So I searched, but I found nothing that matches it, then I found this site.

I'm genuinely curious about this chicken and wonder what breed it is.
20231222_141303.jpg
20231222_141357.jpg

Last edited:
I see, thanks for the answers ^^

I did try looking for crosses, but I seems to can't find results.

Good though that now I know he is a cross, thanks again.

I see, thanks for the answers ^^

I did try looking for crosses, but I seems to can't find results.

Good though that now I know he is a cross, thanks again.
Crosses can be mixes of any breeds, even bantam breeds, so they can look very different from each other.

A Rhode Island Red is considered a pure breed because it must look a certain way in color and size, among other things.

Your rooster doesn't match the standards for any pure breed, so that is how we know he is a mix. It's just like with dogs. Mixing a German Shepherd with a yellow lab will give puppies that look very different from puppies from a mix of Chihuahuas and Pomeranians. It's the same way with chickens.

I see, I understand it, but I got another question and this one confuses me since I also got no results from it despite different search words. It was about breeding chickens to get a specific kind of chicken and it can be done through many generations. Like, breeding 2 chickens will result in this offspring and then that offspring will be breed with another breed and the resulting chick will then be breed with another breed, over and over again to get a specific breed.

My brothers also told about that there are one of a kind chickens that are difficult to breed using that method since no one knows the heritage of the parent chickens.

I tried searching that but found no results.

I see, I understand it, but I got another question and this one confuses me since I also got no results from it despite different search words. It was about breeding chickens to get a specific kind of chicken and it can be done through many generations. Like, breeding 2 chickens will result in this offspring and then that offspring will be breed with another breed and the resulting chick will then be breed with another breed, over and over again to get a specific breed.

My brothers also told about that there are one of a kind chickens that are difficult to breed using that method since no one knows the heritage of the parent chickens.

I tried searching that but found no results.
What you are describing is the process of creating a new breed or variety. That's how it was done with most breeds, although sometimes chickens create their own new breed through natural selection, without much intervention from people.

Breeders can select for different traits like color, comb type, size, how fluffy or smooth the feathers are, and more, but also for laying ability and weight. It's a long process but not as long as for creating a new breed of dog, for example, because chickens can lay lots of eggs and most will hatch if they are fertile.

Several BYC members have their own breeding projects, usually trying to create new color varieties for existing breeds. For instance, we know Rhode Island Reds are reddish in color, but someone might decide that they want to create black Rhode Island Reds or buff Rhode Island Reds. Or someone might decide they want to create a bantam sized version of a certain breed. Or someone might work on improving laying ability for an existing breed. All sorts of things are possible. But it doesn't just happen by chance. Folks who breed for these things have studied chicken genetics and know the best ways to go about achieving their goals.

Maybe some day you can, too, if you remain interested. Joining 4-H or FFA is a good way to get involved with other people interested in the same things.

Back
Top Bottom