What breed is this?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by tarheelmama7914, Dec 5, 2010.

1. tarheelmama7914

tarheelmama7914 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2010
    Claremont, NC
    We found this wondering around in our yard, so we put it in with our ducks... I hope someone can tell me what breed, or type of bird this is...

[​IMG]

2. treldib

treldib Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Southern California
    Very pretty Muscovy! I'm gonna guess drake because of the raised crest and pointy tail. He looks pretty young too. As adults they can fly so you will probably want to clip his wings. They are really sweet ducks, enjoy him/her!

Last edited: Dec 6, 2010
  3. tarheelmama7914

Aug 27, 2010
    Claremont, NC
    thanks, we clip our ducks wings also. This little fellow still peeps and I'm not sure what it's age is. My hubby saw it in the yard while it was snowing a few days ago.

4. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

That's terrible that it was just out in the snow alone! it is still a baby, and it is a Muscovy... as for sex i am not sure. it would be easier to tell with a better pic of it out of the water.

5. tarheelmama7914

Aug 27, 2010
    Claremont, NC
    I've tried. It goes in the water as soon as we try to get near enough for a photo.

6. Caprice_Acres

Caprice_Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    Michigan
    It's a black barred muscovy about 8 weeks or so. I'd also guess male, but it's hard when you don't have others to compare it to. [​IMG]

7. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Find a treat that he likes and he will come right up to you, eventually. I hope he does OK, he's still very young, but very pretty.

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    so sweet, I wonder where he came from looks to young to fly

9. tarheelmama7914

Aug 27, 2010
    Claremont, NC
    My guess is probably someone in my neighborhood. They never take proper methods to ensure their chickens saftey, so it wouldn't surprise me if it came from there. I'm not goingto even bother trying to go ask them concidering they shot my dog and came out the house with a gun towards my stepson before. They would most likely eat it anyway since they keep animals for cooking...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by