What breed is this?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by cvreagzayn, Jun 4, 2012.

1. cvreagzayn

cvreagzayn Hatching

Jun 4, 2012
    Hello everyone,
    I have a very sweet chicken(I think) that I cannot figure out what breed it is, it matches none of the pictures I see in the breed section. It is still young and needs to grow in adult plumage on the head but is fully feathered otherwise. Two people called the raptor rehabilitation center where I volunteer to report someone keeping a Red-Tailed Hawk chick and when I go to pick it up it's this chicken. The thing that throws me is the black stripe on the beak. This picture is at a weird angle but the tail usually points
    up. It's also fairly small, standing at most 10 inches Does anyone know what this is? Thanks!
    [​IMG]

2. Looks like an Easter Egger chick.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  3. Pele

Pele Songster

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    I agree, the greenish legs indicate an Easter Egger. Also, it's already looking like a little roo.

4. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Crowing

Mar 3, 2012
    I agree that it looks like an Easter Egger

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    It's an easter egger cockeral.

Lots of folks joke their easter eggers look like hawks, but now I'm wondering how this works. Someone reported this as a hawk chick, did the owner surrender it to you? And why would they do so, if it's their legitimate legal bird? Please fill us in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: