What breed is this?

oecolampadius

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 13, 2013
Hi all,

Greetings from Cameroon!

I've enjoyed looking around on this forum and am greatly impressed by everyone's poultry knowledge. With the help of my nine new hens my family and I hope to learn a thing or two, too.

Can anyone help identify this breed? I won't be surprised if it's a mixed breed. We bought them from a farm yesterday and brought them home in the hopes of collecting home-grown eggs. The kids were thrilled to find our first egg today.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Look like Red Sex-links (also known as Red Stars, Cinnamon Queens, etc.). They're a hybrid sex-linked chicken that is a great layer of large brown eggs.

x3 red sexlinks, does the one standing more up right have a crossed beak?? if so read the thread "Diary of a cross beak" lots of good information in there on feed and trimming the beak.

I'm just adding another vote for Red Sex-Link! Red Sex-Links are crosses of Rhode Island Reds or New Hampshires with Barred Rocks. I'm sure you'll enjoy them; they are great layers of large brown eggs! One of my friends has a Red Sex-Link, and her bird is very docile and sweet, and has only missed a few days of laying since starting laying nearly a year ago.

Thanks, everyone. Given all the votes for red sexlinks, we'll happily call them our cinnamon queens. I believe there is one with a crossed beak, so I'll read up. Thanks again!

I'm just adding another vote for Red Sex-Link! Red Sex-Links are crosses of Rhode Island Reds or New Hampshires with Barred Rocks. I'm sure you'll enjoy them; they are great layers of large brown eggs! One of my friends has a Red Sex-Link, and her bird is very docile and sweet, and has only missed a few days of laying since starting laying nearly a year ago.
Actually, you've got it backwards. BLACK sex links are created with a red factor rooster over a barred hen. A red sex link is a red rooster over a silver factor hen, such as a white Rock, silver-laced Wyandotte, or Delaware.

Actually, you've got it backwards. BLACK sex links are created with a red factor rooster over a barred hen. A red sex link is a red rooster over a silver factor hen, such as a white Rock, silver-laced Wyandotte, or Delaware.

Oops, I made a mistake again! Thanks for correcting me! I don't know why I was thinking of Black Sex-Links....

Back
Top Bottom