What breed is this?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by oecolampadius, Sep 13, 2013.

1. oecolampadius

oecolampadius New Egg

Sep 13, 2013
    Hi all,

Greetings from Cameroon!

I've enjoyed looking around on this forum and am greatly impressed by everyone's poultry knowledge. With the help of my nine new hens my family and I hope to learn a thing or two, too.

Can anyone help identify this breed? I won't be surprised if it's a mixed breed. We bought them from a farm yesterday and brought them home in the hopes of collecting home-grown eggs. The kids were thrilled to find our first egg today.

Thanks in advance for your help.

[​IMG]

2. CluckGirl

CluckGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2012
    NJ
    They look like RIR

1 person likes this.
  3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Look like Red Sex-links (also known as Red Stars, Cinnamon Queens, etc.). They're a hybrid sex-linked chicken that is a great layer of large brown eggs.

2 people like this.
  4. reckless

reckless Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2013
    michigan
    My Coop
    x2
    With the amount of white on them, I'd have to agree.

1 person likes this.
  5. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    x3 red sexlinks, does the one standing more up right have a crossed beak?? if so read the thread "Diary of a cross beak" lots of good information in there on feed and trimming the beak.

1 person likes this.
  6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I'm just adding another vote for Red Sex-Link! Red Sex-Links are crosses of Rhode Island Reds or New Hampshires with Barred Rocks. I'm sure you'll enjoy them; they are great layers of large brown eggs! One of my friends has a Red Sex-Link, and her bird is very docile and sweet, and has only missed a few days of laying since starting laying nearly a year ago.

7. oecolampadius

oecolampadius New Egg

Sep 13, 2013
    Thanks, everyone. Given all the votes for red sexlinks, we'll happily call them our cinnamon queens. I believe there is one with a crossed beak, so I'll read up. Thanks again!

8. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Actually, you've got it backwards. BLACK sex links are created with a red factor rooster over a barred hen. A red sex link is a red rooster over a silver factor hen, such as a white Rock, silver-laced Wyandotte, or Delaware.

9. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Oops, I made a mistake again! Thanks for correcting me! I don't know why I was thinking of Black Sex-Links....

10. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    No worries. I've made the same mistake before, so I've got it fixed in my brain now. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by