What breed is your best winter layer?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Lady of McCamley, Oct 18, 2013.

1. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    I am looking for a really good winter layer breed. I can (and have) read the books...but I want to know what your experience is.

What in your opinion is a good overall winter layer (I am taking into consideration that birds differ under differing circumstances and farm care)

I live in the grey Northwest, so we don't get a lot of light during the winter...just days and days of grey drizzle. Good news, we don't get a lot of frigid weather either so I'm not worried about frozen combs.

Having burned a coop down (and nearly the house too) with electrical lighting in the coop (something about a lamp, heat, straw, dust, and a couple of flighty birds with electricity), I do not light my coops any more (please don't post to tell me how I should or could add lighting...I have and several friends have burned coops to the ground and none of us were careless.)

So I am on the lookout for good winter layers that lay naturally well in the shorter daylight hours without artificial lighting.

Thanks for your input and thoughts.
    Lady of McCamley

Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
  2. Fancychooklady

Fancychooklady Overrun With Chickens

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    My Wyandotte lay all through winter.

3. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    I like my Plymouth Rocks. The key to more winter eggs if not using light is to rotate half your flock each year to pullets. They wont moult and your taking advantage of their first 4 months of stellar laying during early winter.

4. CascadiaRiver

CascadiaRiver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2014
    Pacific Northwest
    Chantecler hens are known well for thier winter laying

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by