What breed is your broody?

CrestedGirl

Polish Obsessed
8 Years
Mar 7, 2011
Fort Worth, Tx
I want to know what breed your broody hen is and please talk about her!
woot.gif
PLEASE INCLUDE PICS IF YOU CAN
celebrate.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I have 2 Buff Orpington broodies. They are both doing their first hatch. One of them has been sitting for 17 days now, I gave her fertile eggs 10 days ago and she's doing a great job. I candled them last night, 2 were infertile and the other 8 all have very active embryos. What I like about my buffs is that since they've been broody, they are not mean at all. I can do anything to either one of them and they are just so sweet and gentle.
love.gif
2 months ago I couldn't feed them out of my hand because they pecked so vigorously at the food that it really hurt. Now I can give them the tastiest treats by hand and they just timidly take it.
smile.png

LF cochins....they are incredible mamas. I have had one hatch 10 eggs (started with 14, I think). I have one hen that forgets to "wean" the babies at 5-6 weeks...so she has nearly full grown chicks following her around trying to sleep under her wings...and she lets them
smile.png

We have a Buff Orp that has been broody since she started laying eggs. Finally gave in and gave her 7 eggs. She forgot why she is there! Moved to another nest box, without eggs, and just sat there! That bird is crazy.

I am hearing some sweet and interesting stories so far. Thanks for posting, and please continue to post. I love hearing peoples stories.
ya.gif

Have a Buff Orpington who is broody. But since I have no adult rooster, she isn't allowed to keep any eggs. Talk about a MAD HEN?!!!! She pecks HARD when I take away her eggs! Poor thing, she wants to be a mommy SO bad!

I have a Black Jap/D'uccle that has gone broody 2x since I'v had her[past fall] she's a great mom and nearly all her eggs hatch. Just the eggs everyone else adds don't hatch, lol.

Back
Top Bottom