what breed of chicken goes broody most often?

Hobbley_Farm

Songster
11 Years
Sep 9, 2008
Pilot Mountain, NC
Just wondering if it would be better to get a hen that is more prone to go broody and let her hatch out eggs, rather than get an incubator. What are some opinions?

Last edited:
I can't keep my silkies from going broody at the drop of the hat. Out of all the breeds I have, the silkies and the mille fleur d'Uccles are the best broodies.

I have 2 Silkies and 2 Frizzles and so far my 2 Frizzles are the only ones that go broody for me.
hmm.png

...but I'd like to add that if you have broodies, they're WAY better than incubators. No turning, no worries... the hen does it all. Better than a completely automatic incubator.
thumbsup.gif

Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain :

...but I'd like to add that if you have broodies, they're WAY better than incubators. No turning, no worries... the hen does it all. Better than a completely automatic incubator.
thumbsup.gif

I agree with that
smile.png
I've had 100% hatch my first time and all of my seconds are veining and progressing toward another 100% hatch
smile.png

My araucana (the real ones) and buff orps are my best broodies and both make great moms.

Jody

Oh, don't get me started on my little silkie!!! I can't keep out of a nesting box. She can lay and egg and I will take it away from her but she will still sit in the box for days on end. Not only that but she won't stay in the same box even if there is an egg in it??
smack.gif

Back
Top Bottom