What breed of chicken is this??

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by nuts4hotwheels, Jul 9, 2010.

1. nuts4hotwheels

nuts4hotwheels Songster

May 8, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I found this chicken at work, but don't know what breed it is. I think that it is a game chicken. I have been feeding and was thinking about bringing it home, but I am concerned with it getting along with my other 5 1/2 week old chickens and my kids. Sorry about the pic quality, they were taken with my phone.

Questions:

1.) What breed is it?

2.) Cock or Hen?

3.) Will it do okay with my other chickens (5 1/2 weeks old)?

4.) Will it be okay with my kids (2, 4 & 7 years old)?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 9, 2010

2. KellyHM

KellyHM Crowing

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Can't tell for sure, but it looks like it has a pea comb, which would make me think it's an EE/Game mix of some type. It is definitely a rooster. Only a trial period will tell for sure how it will act with your other chickens and kids. You should quarantine him for a month before introducing him to your other chickens so he doesn't give them any diseases. He looks like he may have a case of fowl pox (transmitted by mosquitoes and will heal on its own) or just got beat up pretty good.

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble Premium Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I agree with KellyHM. I was thinking EE/game mix rooster. He looks like he's young with the short spurs and looks like a mean rascal too, never can tell though lol. Definitely has a bad case of fowl pox. I wouldnt bring him home at all, no telling what else he might have. Think bio-security.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2010
  4. nuts4hotwheels

nuts4hotwheels Songster

May 8, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I live in the city limits and can not have a rooster due to noise ordinances, so I couldn't bring him home anyway. I will try to find a good home for him, elsewhere. Thanks for the information.

5. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Songster

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    Looks to me like an Aseel rooster. If it is, be careful with putting him with other roos. They are fighting games, and will fight till the death.

6. gmendoza

gmendoza Songster

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    First of all its a roo because of the cape and saddle feathers.Only roos have them.Your roo has spurs and the comb is a pea comb .Its a young fighting roo.I wouldn't put him with any others in your flock.He will kill 'em.I live in SC and its a class D misdemeanor to have a cock fight.It will cost you a whopping 50 dollars. It is an Asil Rooster.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by