What breed of chicken is this?

Shannah

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 6, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Hi everyone!

I'm a newbie here and I got my chickens from someone who was just trying to get rid of them....this is oneof my girls, "Roxie", she's black and has a few orange/gold feathers on the front of her neck, no comb, and not much of a tail and she's pretty big, almost twice the size of my leghorns (hard to see that in the pic)! I think she might be a Plymouth Rock but she looks like maybe a mix of something? Any ideas??

Thanks!!!
smile.png

Last edited:
There are some pictures that look just like her! Thank you!!

Is her having no comb normal? Most of the pictures show a comb...

Does she have no comb, or is it a different type of comb?

It all depends on the age. If she is young, she will have next to nothing. If she is older and doesn't have any of the types of combs above, she may have suffered frost bite. Hard to say without a clearer picture :)

Is she always that fluffy? I agree her coloring looks like a black sex link but they're closer-feathered as a rule. This bird's fluff makes me wonder if she has orpington somewhere close in the background.

Is she always that fluffy? I agree her coloring looks like a black sex link but they're closer-feathered as a rule. This bird's fluff makes me wonder if she has orpington somewhere close in the background.
Didn't even think of that. She does seen to have loose feathering, but could just be a molt. :)

pics arent that great and if i had to guess based on these i would say a black sex link with a small single comb

She is always kind of fluffy, and currently has a patch under her neck where feathers are growing in. She has pretty much no comb, it could have been frostbitten as the last people who had these chickens let them free range in the purest sense of the word....they had no coop for winter shelter (altho most of the others except one leghorn had a comb), and they weren't fed or watered except for what they could scrounge up....hence why they look a little ragged.

I'm going to try and get better pictures, she was really shy when I first got her and is just coming around in the last 2 weeks that she'll eat from my hand...she's still a little skittish though and not a big fan of posing for pictures!

Thanks everyone for your input and suggestions!

Back
Top Bottom