What Breed Of Dog Is This?

What if I told you he has black spots on his tongue?
I'm thinking he has some Chow in him. Do you guys see that?
Labs are also known to have black on their tongues a good bit of the time...so one should never assume that black on tongue equals chow. Over 30 different purebreeds often have black spots on their tongue...it's like freckles on people.

Yes, I have read that also. I just thought since he looks like a Chow to me that it was a little bit of confirmation.

PoultryPower.... I believe there is now some blood testing available by a genetics company to aid in identifying breed mixes.
I haven't ever done it, but your vet's office or the rescue society near you may have info on it. I don't know what the cost or details would be though.

I've read reviews on these tests and have spoken to our vet about them. From what I hear, they can be very inaccurate. (example) Large dogs have had tests come back saying they were Chihuahuas and the like.

I've read reviews on these tests and have spoken to our vet about them. From what I hear, they can be very inaccurate. (example) Large dogs have had tests come back saying they were Chihuahuas and the like.
Oh... doesn't sound too promising then! I had never checked into them myself, so didn't know any details.

I can pretty much guarantee that your fellow isn't a chihuahua!!!
gig.gif

edit for spelling

Last edited:
Guessing dog breeds is possibly harder than guessing chicken breeds...especially because that dog could be several generations of mutt...as in his parents were mutts so on and so forth. Sometimes when a dog has puppies you can sort of see what breeds make them up...but they do have doggie DNA tests that are pretty much the only way to discern a breed, and even they are not that effective. Sometimes a mix of certain breeds can look exactly like another purebreed of dog than even any of the breeds the dog is mixed with. Lots of dogs are brindle...so it could have some parentage of any of those. Catahoula Leopard dog, plott hound, boxer, pitbull, English and French Bulldogs, dachshunds, whippets, grey hounds, A lot of mastiffs, shih tzus, the list goes on and on...so the brindle thing doesn't help all that much...

I am going to guess that there is husky or malamute in there because of the curly tail, but then again there are lots of dogs that have curly tails...so who knows. It's a very good looking dog. I would guess there is definitely some shepherd of some sort in there. I say that because the one where you are looking at it's face it just has a guarding shepherd type look to it.

I've thought Akita mix too, he isn't all that tall, but he could definitely have some Akita a ways back and still be his size.
Big black dogs are the last to be adopted from a shelter-thank you for taking him into your home. I know what kind of dog he is-cute!
tongue.png
The head really looks like border collie to me. Enjoy him!!!

We definitely enjoy him, I have put a lot of love and work into this dog and I'm starting to reap the rewards. As if he knew I was typing about him, I just had to stop in between these two sentences because he wanted to be pet.
My family does NOT have black dog issues, all our dogs somehow ended up being all black, we even adopted them all at different times. We didn't even realize that they were all black until our neighbor asked us if we had a thing for black dogs.
lau.gif

Black dogs are so pretty! They look so sleek and clean (probably because the black hides the dirt)
The third picture looks exactly like my Lab/Aussie. The shape of the head, the eyes locked on the food and such, so probably Border Collie or Aussie in there.

Back
Top Bottom