What breed of duck is best?

I guess the mules could be prevented by keeping them separate or just gather eggs daily. Would it be at all possible to keep the different species separate, even if just by a small run?
-Liv
1f603.png

Well, I do have a 300sq ft run for my ducks. I was thinking that the Muscovies could free range and be much safer. At night they may have to share a coop.
Have you ever had Muscovy meat? Is it like other duck meat? My father says he will complain endlessly if he doesn't get meat at Thanksgiving. :/
Could I get one hen, as a broody, and just replace her "mule" eggs with my other ducks' eggs?

Those are all great ideas, no I've never had Muscovy meat but I heard it's good. If they are free ranging, trim their wings. It sounds like you really know what you are doing!
-Liv

Well what about managed breeding? Separate the birds you want to breed from March to May and collect those eggs for incubation.

I understand the wish to avoid mules, but they make very good meat ducks. Magret de canard if you want to do some research.

Okay. I think what I might do is get more Rouens (two drakes, six ducks, and watch carefully for any problems. The Blue Fawn may not be a a Blue Fawn, which is why I want another Rouen drake.) If I can't find four more, I will get 1 Muscovy hen for brooding, and not keep her eggs, only the Rouen eggs, for hatching.
When I build my next coop, this late summer or fall, I will use it for either Muscovies, or a laying breed.
That way, there's no mixups.
But I do appreciate everyone's input. I may still go with Muscovies, but for now, I think the best is to stay simple, until I have more than one coop.

Back
Top Bottom