1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What breed of fertile eggs should I get?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Tomfieldenloveshichickens, Nov 26, 2010.

1. Tomfieldenloveshichickens

Tomfieldenloveshichickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    Somerset, England
    Hi

I'm going to hatch some eggs in a incubator this Christmas. I would like some suggestions on what chicks I should get. Here are a few things that I would like the chicks to be able to do.

Lay lots of eggs ( most important)
    Hardy
    Mix with other chickens
    Not bantam
    Don't need to get broody
    Don't need to be a table bird

Thanks for the suggestions

2. The Lisser

The Lisser Chillin' With My Peeps

Leghorns, Australorps, Rhode Island Reds and Plymouth Rocks are all good layers. Leghorns are more slender and mostly just produce eggs, but they might not be as hardy in cold temperatures, as they are a Mediterranean breed.

By "mix with other chickens" it depends on the other chickens. If the others are smaller or much larger you may have trouble.

Also you know that you are likely to end up with half roosters with hatched eggs, so if you don't plan to eat them you may need to make plans for them.

3. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Quote:Unless you're in a really cold area where frostbite to their combs would be a concern it sounds like one of the Leghorn varieties would fill your bill.

4. Tomfieldenloveshichickens

Tomfieldenloveshichickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    Somerset, England
    Hi

I currently have rhode island reds and live in the south west of england

5. speedy2020

speedy2020 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    Leghorn is white egg layer, which produce many eggs that you see at the store. It is flighty and skittish. Here is my choice: Delaware, Barred rock, Australorp, RIR and Sex-link.

6. pringle

pringle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    You just described a austrolorp,they also hold the world record for laying most eggs in a year.

7. Mrs. Feathers

Mrs. Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    I love my Australorps...out of my six currently laying I get 5 eggs 90% of days with 6 on some days and 4 on the others...never less. My BA-Ameraucana EE`s are good layers too...one of them has laid us a lovely olive egg every day this month.

8. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    just one breed or are you wanting a rainbow of eggs?
    There are alot of good egg laying breeds available. I read too about the Australorps being excellent layers. Other good breeds that have excellent ratings for eggs are Orpingtons and Wyandottes. Ameraucanas lay blue/green eggs for nice colored eggs. And then you have the dark chocolate egg layers like the Maurons. I think the Barnevelder is also supposed to be an excellent layer from the books I read.

9. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    What you're asking for is something that people sell in chick form more often than hatching eggs. Hatching eggs are for the more hard to find varieties or show quality varieties, not production birds. [​IMG]

I'd suggest just about any common breed such as Australorps, Orpingtons, Rocks, Production Reds. . . I'm sure someone has eggs available locally.

10. RioLindoAz

RioLindoAz Sleeping

Jul 8, 2007
    Yuma, Arizona
    Australops will do you good. They lay exceptionally, are beefy enough to be a table bird, and quite hardy if you ask me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by