What breed of roo to get?

Txpaintgal

Hatching
9 Years
May 16, 2010
I have nine hens. Three one yr old laying hens. 2 Golden Comets and 1 Barred Rock. I then have 4 EE's and two Cochins that are about 4 months. I'd like some chicks to hatch later. My hens all free range then go to a hoopcoop. Roo must be docile. Suggestions?

Well, Silkie rooster are pretty nice. I've generally liked all the roosters I've had---RIR, Buff Orpington, Silkie, Barred Rock, Ameraucana, and even the White Leghorn I've got. I think it just depends on how much they are handled when young.

IT depends on what you want in regards to the offspring. If you want some sort of dual purpose bird, get a larger(ish) rooster. If you want more egg laying, get a rooster from an breed/strain known for alot of eggs. If you want alot of nice colors, get something along that line, if you want more EE, get one of those.

Will you be using an incubator, or a broody hen to hatch the eggs?

Since you have all kinds of chickens I can't be definant on what kind of roo to get. As far as docile a cochin or orpington roo might be better. But cochin might be better since you have cochins. Golden Comets don't breed true!
yippiechickie.gif

I'd personally go with a rock (barred or white). The male offspring will grow a little faster, and will provide pretty decent meals (at least for someone) if you don't want to keep any.

I echo Ashley's recommendation: a Cochin or an Orpington rooster.

I do like my EE, but you know personality with EEs is a crap shoot, their geneaology is too varied. If I didn't have my Carl, but knew what I know now, I'd want a roo JUST like Carl or an Orpington roo. I love those big fellas!

Back
Top Bottom