What breed of roo to get?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Txpaintgal, Aug 8, 2010.

1. Txpaintgal

Txpaintgal New Egg

May 16, 2010
    I have nine hens. Three one yr old laying hens. 2 Golden Comets and 1 Barred Rock. I then have 4 EE's and two Cochins that are about 4 months. I'd like some chicks to hatch later. My hens all free range then go to a hoopcoop. Roo must be docile. Suggestions?

2. drdoolittle

drdoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    Well, Silkie rooster are pretty nice. I've generally liked all the roosters I've had---RIR, Buff Orpington, Silkie, Barred Rock, Ameraucana, and even the White Leghorn I've got. I think it just depends on how much they are handled when young.

3. MrChicken207

MrChicken207 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    Caribou, Maine
    IT depends on what you want in regards to the offspring. If you want some sort of dual purpose bird, get a larger(ish) rooster. If you want more egg laying, get a rooster from an breed/strain known for alot of eggs. If you want alot of nice colors, get something along that line, if you want more EE, get one of those.

Will you be using an incubator, or a broody hen to hatch the eggs?

4. AshleyM.Eggs

AshleyM.Eggs New Egg

Jan 25, 2010
    Since you have all kinds of chickens I can't be definant on what kind of roo to get. As far as docile a cochin or orpington roo might be better. But cochin might be better since you have cochins. Golden Comets don't breed true![​IMG]

5. MrChicken207

MrChicken207 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    Caribou, Maine
    I'd personally go with a rock (barred or white). The male offspring will grow a little faster, and will provide pretty decent meals (at least for someone) if you don't want to keep any.

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I echo Ashley's recommendation: a Cochin or an Orpington rooster.

I do like my EE, but you know personality with EEs is a crap shoot, their geneaology is too varied. If I didn't have my Carl, but knew what I know now, I'd want a roo JUST like Carl or an Orpington roo. I love those big fellas!

7. Louieandthecrew

Louieandthecrew I am actually a female!

BARRED ROCK! They are PERFECT!!!!!!!!111 lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by