What Breed of Roo's Do I Have Here?

I agree that it looks closer to a speckled sussex then a rir. It doesn't really matter that much but I only have 8 laying hens so I'll likely only keep 1 roo & was looking to pick whichever one comes from a breed geared more towards egg production.

Should size be a factor in deciding which one to keep? The barred roo is huge & roughly the size of my jumbo pekins & could give a Braham a run for it's money & the SS x isn't small by any means but probably runs closer to the 7-8lb mark. I have a mix of silver laced wyandottes, rhode island reds & an easter egger. All of which are good size hens for their respective breeds. I'm just worried that if I decide to keep the big boy, his huge size might become an issue for my ladies ???
Size isn't really an issue per say, but in my experience, it leads to some defeathering in hens. The few big roosters I've had, also have tended to be clumsy. Right now I have a Brahma with ten hens to himself, but I have to give all but one saddles because he's managing to defeather all of them 😳😳

Back
Top Bottom