What breed of rooster?

debir1966

Songster
7 Years
May 27, 2012
Central Idaho
Hello! We want to raise our own meat chickens from our dual-purpose hens and would like to get suggestions for which breed of rooster to choose.

We have many different breeds of hen, mostly dual-purpose, some strictly egg layers.

We want a rooster that will produce good size, faster growing babies to eat. We do not plan on keeping any chicks to have as hens, onlly to eat, and we will get new hens from outside sources when needed.

I had originally though about getting a faverolles as we want the rooster to be very calm and friendly with our hens and our kids.

Thank you for your time!

DebiR.

If you want meat birds raise meat birds. Order Cornish X chicks straight run and keep them on feed for 8-10 weeks and then you're done. The meat quality is better then dual purpose and store bought.

If you want meat birds raise meat birds. Order Cornish X chicks straight run and keep them on feed for 8-10 weeks and then you're done. The meat quality is better then dual purpose and store bought.
True but some people like the idea of having their own and being more self sustaining. I raise cx to sell and they sell well but I get a lot of calls for people wanting "old fashioned chicken" it is great because I have a market for all the Roos that I hatch out.

Also remember some people like having chickens. Their goal isn't to get them from chick to slaughter as fast as possible but to enjoy raising their chickens.

Cornish is hard to beat.. I think they make the best- hands down- terminal sire for a group of average ole barnyard hens.

Depending on where you are- I have a young cockerel that' big enough to be turned in with hens- but won't be sexually mature yet for another couple of months.

Thank you all for the great replies!

WinklerFarms is absolutely correct. We are striving to be self-sustaining. I do intend to order some meat-only chickens to butcher maybe once a year to put in the freezer, but want the majority of our chicken to be self-raising.

Thank you for the links punk-a-doodle! I have been gobling up all reading material I can find LOL.

Our ultimate goal is to let hens brood occassionally during the summer and naturally raise the chicks to eat. I am not sure if we will butcher all the chicks at once or do as the old farmers did and when we want chicken for dinner, get one then. I do not want to raise chicks over the winter months, so any remaining meat chickens would be put in the freezer during the fall.

When I was younger, my Mom raised cornish once or twice a year to butcher and put in the freezer, and they were indeed delish! Big, tender and yummy. However, they grew so fast and got so big (we didn't butcher them probably as early as we should have, they got to the size of small turkeys!) that their poor leg bones bent! So I was unsure if you could keep a cornish or heavy meat chicken rooster without him have some major structural and other health problems (heart failure?) from growing too big?

kfacres - I live outside of Council, Idaho.

Again, thanks for the replies!

DebiR.

you mean cornish cross, pure cornish are a slow growing bird just like any other chicken although they have a large breast compared to a regular DP bird and thats why kfacres said to use cornish as your terminal sire. not a 8week cornish X broiler like your mom raised.

you mean cornish cross, pure cornish are a slow growing bird just like any other chicken although they have a large breast compared to a regular DP bird and thats why kfacres said to use cornish as your terminal sire. not a 8week cornish X broiler like your mom raised.
Although the Cornish are acclaimed to be such a slow growing bird- I just don't see it. YEs, they are much slower growing than a standard CX bird- obviously-- but in all honesty, I have some chicks hatched either the last week of Feb, or 1st week of March-- which would make them. 13 weeks old-- and I believe I could butcher the males if so desired. Ya, they need another couple of weeks- but I think right now there is more meat on them than on a 16 week old DP male. I guess I don't know how much finish they might have on them- but is that something chicken eaters even worry about? Last fall I weighed some appx 20 week old males-- and each was over 7 pounds.

Now, if we start talking about sexual maturity, and days until first egg/ crow-- that is painfully long. My pullets are 6 or 7 months old before they lay- and my cockerels are about a month and a half older before the first screech comes out.

The real Cornish do not have the leg problems, that get confused with the CX birds.

Back
Top Bottom