What breed(s) are my new hens?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by tuesdaylove, Feb 24, 2017.

1. tuesdaylove

tuesdaylove Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2012
    Georgia
    Hello y'all!

Yesterday I got two standard sized hens to keep my mean old Cochin bantam rooster company. About a year ago, he became aggressive to the bantam hens and nearly killed them, so he lived alone until I came across these hens. They're twice his size, so they can defend themselves if he attacks them -- but he only tried once, and they put him in his place! Everyone's getting along fine now.

I was wondering if y'all can tell me what these chickens are, and if they are indeed hens, though I assume if they weren't, the rooster would've given them a harder time. I'm a bantam person myself so I'm not used to identifying big hens. The man I got them from said they were siblings and both Rhode Island Reds, but they look quite different -- the darker one has a rose comb. He also said "they're nine months old and they just started laying eggs," and I thought they laid at 6 months? So can anyone give me a rough estimate of their age? I haven't seen any eggs from them since they arrived about 24 hours ago but I assume they're coming.

The darker brown one with a rose comb is Arizona, and the lighter one is Alabama. In the first picture they're standing next to aforementioned Cochin bantam rooster, Georgia.

Thanks in advance!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. br0nc0

br0nc0 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2017
    Slovenia
    Okay I have no clue whatsoever, but I love the look of the red one at the end [​IMG]

3. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    If they are sibling then they are crossbreds. Nine months looks about right, I don't think they are year old yet. I'd say they are likely Wyandotte crosses going by their general size and shape. Along with the yellow legs and one being rose combed. Could have Rhode Island Red in them but they are for sure not pure. Any disturbance will upset laying, such as being moved and a new home and surrounds. They usually will stop laying for a few weeks until they get settled in. Then they will resume laying. Being that there are no other hens in their new home they may not take quite as long to resume regular laying.

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    They're probably mixes, possibly with Production Red in them.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    mixed

6. tuesdaylove

tuesdaylove Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2012
    Georgia
    Thanks everyone!

7. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    With the cushion comb on the darker one, I'm thinking Chantecler for her. The other looks like a Dixie Rainbow/Pioneer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by