what breed (s) is he?

CarlieO

Chirping
6 Years
Dec 14, 2013
WA
He's about 3 or 4 months old in this picture. The place I bought him said 'he' was a 'she' and a red sex-link. Now his tail feathers are much longer. Guesses?

Lol I figured red sex-link roos would be red! I'm a novice, can you tell? :) And yes we're keeping him. He is great with our hens!

welcome-byc.gif

He's a classic red sex link rooster. Hens are reddish all over with white tips and tails. You can tell the males from the females at hatch, thus the term sex link (the sex is linked to the color).

That's so ironic because I bought 3 red sex-links and 2 turned out to be roosters. My hen is definitely the typical red sex-link. I'm going to take a picture of the second roo when I get home tonight and post it to here. He looks nothing like this guy I posted above. Thanks for all your responses! It's my first time using the site and people are really helpful!

True sex linkage only works the first generation. Is it possible your birds are second generation sex links? breeding second generations gives you w wide range of red and white birds, and the sex is NO LONGER linked to the color, thus they're not really sex links anymore, just mixed breed birds. If you didn't get your birds from a hatchery, this could be what happened.

I bought them from a local feed store who ordered them from Meyer Hatchery. Needless to say I have no idea what generation. I'm about to post a pic of another rooster that came from our trio of sex-link 'pullets'.

Back
Top Bottom