What breed should I get in a tiny backyard?

alyssaallycat

Chirping
Feb 14, 2016
Baby chick time is upon us... but as a first time chicken owner I'm not sure what breed to get. I live in a cold Pacific Northwest climate where it rains frequently. I want a friendly chicken that won't make a lot of noise, doesn't require a lot of space in a TINY backyard, that is pretty tolerant of children, and rhat would not object to being in a run for 21 out 24 hours in a day. Any sugestions?

Baby chick time is upon us... but as a first time chicken owner I'm not sure what breed to get. I live in a cold Pacific Northwest climate where it rains frequently. I want a friendly chicken that won't make a lot of noise, doesn't require a lot of space in a TINY backyard, that is pretty tolerant of children, and rhat would not object to being in a run for 21 out 24 hours in a day. Any sugestions?

Some breeds are deal better with confinement than others.

Are you concerned about egg laying?

Silkies make great pets but don't lay many eggs. Most cross breeds such as black sex links deal with confinement well and are very good layers.

I have linked a good chicken breed chart below :
http://www.greengardenchicken.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=66_72

Egglaying is not really a concern for me. I LOVE silkies, but where can I find them? All stores in my area don't carry bantem breeds.
P.S thank you for the suggestion!!!

I have an incubator.... but I recently had some power loss scares that would make it hard to incubate. I'm pretty sure chicks would be my best bet.

I would also highly recommend bantam cochins, they are fluffy little chickens that lay fairly well when not broody. My Pet Chickens sell sex bantams, silkies and cochins, they cost a bit more but are an option.

I have Easter Eggers that are super sweet, and they live in a small run and are absolutely fine. They are great with children and lay fun colored eggs.

Back
Top Bottom