What breed should I get?

Dec 1, 2018
I am looking for a breed of chicken that has consistent genetics(so no easter eggers), does well in Texas climate, and is super docile. I will be handling them daily so this it important that they are easy to catch and it would be nice if they enjoyed people. Laying ability is also important but they only need to lay about 2-3 a week at minimum so they don't have to be super productive. It would also be nice if they didn't wonder a ton because I don't think my neighbors would appreciate chicken crap in their yard lol. Any ideas?

It would also be nice if they didn't wonder a ton because I don't think my neighbors would appreciate chicken crap in their yard lol. Any ideas?

I have a solid 6 foot fence so can most chickens get over that or?

Most chickens will stay inside of a 6' fence ... IF they have enough space ... for some, a solid place to land on top to view what is on the otherside, is an ideal place to land ... then hop down to explore ...

From the first post it didn't sound like you had a fence ...

As you probably know ... Texas is a big and diverse place ... are you on the humid coast, or up in the dry windy panhandle?

The bigger the bird, less likely for them to fly very high when they are adults ...

1018181017.jpg 1202181315.jpg 1202181315_Burst01.jpg I'm real happy with my sex link golden buffs. Also called Red Star,Cinnamon Queen,Golden Comets and several other designations. Raise them from day old chicks and the will imprint on people. This is what you get!

I'd suggest a good fence!
X2
I'd also suggest not getting any sex links. They do not have consistent genetics, often have health concerns because of their high production and not the longest life span.
Great choice for production not so much for a pet.

How hot does it get in that part of Texas? If its terribly hot and not allot of shade I would look at smaller white birds.

California Whites come to mind, closely related to White leghorns but they have a reputation for being larger and much calmer. White Rocks also come to mind, even though they aren't small.

Why does the bird have to have set genetics if its just a pet? Tell us more about your purpose for these birds.

Dunno if white silkies are good in the heat, but they don't range near as far and make great pets.

Back
Top Bottom