What Breed Should I Get?

Pics
Happy wife, happy life. Or at least that is what all the men I work with say.

Also I should say my husband use to be one of those guys who hated anything dirty. If he got dirt on his hands, he would go ewww. Things have obviously changed. And he loves his messy ducks.
Just three years ago, still living in sub-urban Houston i would never have imagined me pitch-forking duck-poop drenched straw out of a tiny house and having fun doing so! :confused:

This here tank:
52112017GT.jpg

It has a drain, too.

Muscovies. Are. Awesome.

They are smart, quiet, super-friendly, loyal, amazing parents, excellent flock protectors, unique, and beautiful-ugly. Though admittedly there are some points to consider:
  1. They are much larger than mallard-type ducks.
  2. They can be VERY successful and prolific breeders — duckling overload.
  3. They can be too protective. I had a scobie drake who had to be locked up when anyone visited because he was a biter.
  4. Their facial appearance is unusual. As my dad says “they look like they got hit by a truck hauling a load of ugly sticks”.
If all that works for you, then muscovies are a dream come true.
yes the drakes are very protectives of their females

This here tank:
View attachment 2511775
It has a drain, too.
I have one like that for my ducks to swim in. It is about 50 gallons. It works well, except the drain is on the side and so I could never completely drain it. We ended up blocking the drain it came with and drilling a drain in the bottom so we could drain it fully.

I have Kkaki Campbell ducks and Pekins and they lay a lot of eggs (the Kkaki Campbells) I love my pekin he is too cute!(never had any health issues so far) I got ducks because I love them and they were cute and I didn’t really care about eggs. Kkaki Campbell’s are skittish they just have to get used to you and after awhile they’ll nibble your hand and such but thy aren’t super friendly. My pekin is just so darn cute lol! I really like my Pekin and Runners are adorable!! I would do a breed your husband likes as well because I find when you do a breed they like they want more!😂 Kkaki Campbell’s I’ve heard aren’t good mothers (I will be testing that theory this spring) runners I heard are okay at being a mother but it all depends on the duck. Cayugas are great mothers tho. If you just want them for their cuteness Pekin and runners would probably be the way to go! Welsh Harlaquins are super cute too!
It truly does feel like being in a candy store! I’m ready to order more ducks and it’s soo exiting! You can have a mixed flock of ducks. You will loveeeeee ducks!! They are so funny and adorable!! 🥰🥰🥰
Hope this wasn’t too long
Alli💛🥰🦆
yes kaki are skiddish and scared and noisy at times

I have one like that for my ducks to swim in. It is about 50 gallons. It works well, except the drain is on the side and so I could never completely drain it. We ended up blocking the drain it came with and drilling a drain in the bottom so we could drain it fully.
Oooh. Good to know! I will do the same when we move it outside.

Do you clean it every day? And about how long does it take to fill?

Oooh. Good to know! I will do the same when we move it outside.

Do you clean it every day? And about how long does it take to fill?
I refill it everyday. It takes about 8 minutes to fill with a garden hose. This cuts back on the algae growth, and I can't stand the idea of them drinking poop water from yesterday.

I have a dish brush dedicated to the duck pool. In the summer I do a quick 30 second scrub every evening. Then every weekend I scrub the entire thing. Algae builds up quickly in the summer. In the winter I just spray it out in the evening. I leave it empty over night.

We put the entire pool on a pallet, and have a big pipe going from the drain that directs the old poopy water away from their aviary. At the end of the pipe is an open/close valve. Does that make sense? That way I don't have to reach into the poop water and pull out a plug. 😃 My ducks also happily use stairs to go up to their pool.

About 3 times a year the drain pipe gets clogged with feathers and pine needles. So I also have a dedicated plunger.

I refill it everyday. It takes about 8 minutes to fill with a garden hose. This cuts back on the algae growth, and I can't stand the idea of them drinking poop water from yesterday.

I have a dish brush dedicated to the duck pool. In the summer I do a quick 30 second scrub every evening. Then every weekend I scrub the entire thing. Algae builds up quickly in the summer. In the winter I just spray it out in the evening. I leave it empty over night.

We put the entire pool on a pallet, and have a big pipe going from the drain that directs the old poopy water away from their aviary. At the end of the pipe is an open/close valve. Does that make sense? That way I don't have to reach into the poop water and pull out a plug. 😃 My ducks also happily use stairs to go up to their pool.

About 3 times a year the drain pipe gets clogged with feathers and pine needles. So I also have a dedicated plunger.
Makes perfect sense! Eventually, they will be in our "ravine" area (we call it the Sarlacc Pit, but it's just a slope that leads to a culvert that fills up with rain every winter). I will set up the pool down at that end of the pasture and let it drain in there.

FABULOUS. I love you duck people. You make me feel so much better about everything!

Back
Top Bottom