What Breed Should I Get?

Pics
I have a Saxony, a Welsh, and 2 Anconas. My experience with Metzer's was not as good as I had hoped, but that was partly due to the pandemic and all of the delayed shipping issues last spring.

Anyway, my Saxony (Charlotte) was the only survivor from my Metzer's order, and I found the other 3 at local farms a couple hours drive away. Charlotte is and always has been the queen of the flock, even when she was the smallest one of the bunch. She's also the quietest one, hardly ever hear her quacking unless I have treats.

None of them really likes to be held, probably because with two young children I just couldn't focus on handling them as much as I would've liked to.

Anyway, I think you have a great selection of breeds to start with. Looking forward to seeing them when they arrive!

Here's my little flock, when I first got them, and then in the fall right before the Welshie started laying.

Attachments

• IMG_20200519_172319795.jpg
    IMG_20200519_172319795.jpg
    427.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20201016_153605720_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20201016_153605720_HDR.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Can you tell me more about the Golden Cascade breed? - I have a Duck Flock-Planner website where you can compare a lot of duck-breeds by many attributes and it would be great to add more breeds.

That's an awesome planner. The Golden Cascades were developed by Dave Holderread around the 1980s (they are not yet accepted into the standard of perfection) with the goal of producing an active but calm dual-purpose bird with excellent production qualities. This page seems to do a good job of summing up the basic info and highlights from the Holderread page.

This won't surprise people who knows us, but I'm going to make a strong plug for silver Appleyards. They are fantastic--ours are friendly, great foragers, fantastic layers, have good maternal instincts, and are simply beautiful birds. Plus they are an endangered heritage breed. You can check out our guys here:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUlPSFpsJ1cQS_CvkFOhMAA

Your girls are so beautiful! I’m adding some in the spring, cannot wait <3

Back
Top Bottom