What Breed Should I Get?

Pics
Appleyards are so pretty! And I wanted Muscovies, but I can't find them sexed, and I want females for now. Once I get my new pasture set up, I can entertain the idea of drakes. But Muscovies are pretty awesome! I like their unusual looks, and everyone has told me how great they are. Definitely on my wish list!!!
Same problem here! I'd take five 'Scovy girls immediately, but a drake would very likely create a disaster with all my Mallard drakes.

Haha yeah if you got unsexed Muscovy they'll get to 3000 REAL quick 🤣 I wish more places sexed them I feel like its weird that they don't. Maybe you could call one of the hatcheries that has them and convince them to let you pay a lil extra to sex them for you.
That is actually a pretty good idea! - At least they may tell us why they don't sell them sexed.

Zut alors! - Freedom Ranger Hatchery is selling sexed White Muscovies!
1611106469942.png

See: https://www.freedomrangerhatchery.com/white-muscovy-ducks.asp

Mannnnn too bad, and too bad they only have white ones they come in so many cool colorings. I assume the min order 15 thing is probably just about money so maybe you could like pay for 15 ducklings but specifically only ask them to send 4 or 5. It seems really weird to me why most hatcheries don't sex them. Is vent sexing them different than doing it with mallard-derived ducklings?

Mannnnn too bad, and too bad they only have white ones they come in so many cool colorings. I assume the min order 15 thing is probably just about money so maybe you could like pay for 15 ducklings but specifically only ask them to send 4 or 5. It seems really weird to me why most hatcheries don't sex them. Is vent sexing them different than doing it with mallard-derived ducklings?
I just sent an e-mail to Metzer Farms asking them why they only sell unsexed 'scovy ducklings. Let's see what they answer.

I have a male muscovy and he gets along fine with my male saxony. Problem is he picks on my female Pekin. He has pulled out some of her wing feathers and she is limping now. So he is not working out and must go. Only problem with drakes is you have to be ready to get rid of them. I got him and 4 females from a breeder at 9 weeks of age. They are super sweet despite not raising them. They are also little troublemakers too.

They breed so well, that you will probably see local breeders selling them in the next few months. You will want more than one muscovy female. We got two and they were so bonded and lonely; we got two more of their sisters and a male.

Crazy idea.... What do y'all think about this???

I'm a high school teacher. I teach 9th, 11th, and 12th graders. I'm considering having a contest to allow my students to name my ducks, but I'm a little afraid that they'll come up with really stupid names. I could easily imagine ending up with ducks named Ducky McDuck Face, Harry Styles, Spiderman, and Young Thug.

Back
Top Bottom