Pics
I started out with 6 ducks 6 years ago.

1 Cayuga from a feed store
1 Welsh harlequin from a feed store
1 Crested pekin rescued from a pond
1 Dark khaki campbell? rescued from a pond
1 Light khaki campbell? rescued from a pond
1 Welsh harlequin from a Lake

The maybe khakis could be mixes. They don't look exactly like the breed standard. They have definitely been the healthiest.

I have 3 remaining. The ones that passed died from medical conditions, and I took them to our avian veterinarian and tried to save each one.

Yes, we have a lot of forage year around. Lots of slugs, worms, and green plants. They are so funny. We joke that foraging is so much work that after eating they need to come inside and eat. I take them for supervised foraging walks almost daily and when we go back to their aviary they immediately dive into their pellets. Lol.
I'm planning to take them on walks, too, after hearing about yours. If they'll cooperate... I have great land for ducks, but also great land for duck predators! Boo! Can't seem to have one without the other...

I'm planning to take them on walks, too, after hearing about yours. If they'll cooperate... I have great land for ducks, but also great land for duck predators! Boo! Can't seem to have one without the other...
I don't think they'll just naturally cooperate. I trained mine to come when I call them, and that lets me take them for walks. When I'm done I call them back to their aviary.

The way this works is simple, make a novel sound and give them their favorite treat (mealworms obviously!) each time. Don't run out of mealworms. After they reliably come running to you when you make that noise you can take them for walks! Keep giving them a few mealworms when they come to you or they might stop.

Despite our predator rich 5 acre lot we haven't had any problems. I don't take my ducks for walks until later in the morning, and I avoid near dusk, too. I always take my dog with me. I stick near the ducks, stay aware, and if they get near the tree line I call them back to me. Our neighbors tried free ranging and lost all their flock.

We'll see. I am ridiculously excited.
One important thing: After a couple of days your brooder will start to stink horriblesmell somewhat strange. That is the time to grab an empty jar with an airtight lid and fill some of the smelly stuff into the jar. Close the lid really tight and place the jar in the medical cabinet.
You have just created the ultimate cure for duckling-fever!
DucklingFever.png

Whenever it hits you, run to the medical cabinet, grab that jar, open it and take a deep breath. Instant-cure!
:lau :gig

One important thing: After a couple of days your brooder will start to stink horriblesmell somewhat strange. That is the time to grab an empty jar with an airtight lid and fill some of the smelly stuff into the jar. Close the lid really tight and place the jar in the medical cabinet.
You have just created the ultimate cure for duckling-fever!
View attachment 2497340
Whenever it hits you, run to the medical cabinet, grab that jar, open it and take a deep breath. Instant-cure!
:lau :gig

"Smell somewhat strange"
🤣😆😆🤣😆🤣😆🤣🤣

This from the guy who has 39, wants to order Muscovies, and is considering buying an incubator!!!

I'm in trouble then! My sense of smell is GONE because of COVID! Like, completely gone.

I am doooooooooommmmeeeddd!!!!!!

"Smell somewhat strange"
🤣😆😆🤣😆🤣😆🤣🤣

This from the guy who has 39, wants to order Muscovies, and is considering buying an incubator!!!

I'm in trouble then! My sense of smell is GONE because of COVID! Like, completely gone.

I am doooooooooommmmeeeddd!!!!!!
Legend says that the pungent stink of duckling's poop after a protein rich breakfast is even too much for the CoVid19 virus and the sense of smell and taste will be back immediately.
😜
Seriously?! No sense of smell anymore after Covid? That would be a nightmare for me as i am a foody and enjoy complex aromas and tastes. 😯

Legend says that the pungent stink of duckling's poop after a protein rich breakfast is even too much for the CoVid19 virus and the sense of smell and taste will be back immediately.
😜
Seriously?! No sense of smell anymore after Covid? That would be a nightmare for me as i am a foody and enjoy complex aromas and tastes. 😯
Completely gone. It's the weirdest thing.

The other day, I was slicing a really strong onion. I couldn't smell it at all, but I was crying from the fumes!

And I can taste sweet and sour. No salty no savory. Everything tastes like sugar or lemons. It sucks.

Completely gone. It's the weirdest thing.

The other day, I was slicing a really strong onion. I couldn't smell it at all, but I was crying from the fumes!

And I can taste sweet and sour. No salty no savory. Everything tastes like sugar or lemons. It sucks.
That is bad! Really, really bad! - No! That is cruel! ☹
I'm just eating a duck-egg ham samich and imagining the egg would taste like lemon and the ham like sugar… :sick
I hope that this is only a temporary symptom!
What do the doctors say about it? - Except for »We don't know…«

That is bad! Really, really bad! - No! That is cruel! ☹
I'm just eating a duck-egg ham samich and imagining the egg would taste like lemon and the ham like sugar… :sick
I hope that this is only a temporary symptom!
What do the doctors say about it? - Except for »We don't know…«
Yes, that's what it would taste like. But it's getting a little better. I can taste tomatoes and cheese a lil

Back
Top Bottom