What Breed Should I Get?

Pics
Completely gone. It's the weirdest thing.

The other day, I was slicing a really strong onion. I couldn't smell it at all, but I was crying from the fumes!

And I can taste sweet and sour. No salty no savory. Everything tastes like sugar or lemons. It sucks.

Mine is starting to come back (had it Feb 2020) but I was able to get away with brooding 6 Appleyard ducklings inside for the first 7 (yes, SEVEN) weeks. Thank goodness my roommates either had Covid or have long lost their sense of smell from lifestyle habits. I cleaned out the pen frequently and was constantly adding horse stall sawdust pellets and fresh straw to the top, but even between that and and collective loss of sense of smell, the little poop monsters did not go unnoticed. ;)

THEN there was that time that half of the water spilled, and we just added straw and sawdust over it for a few days (we had a tarp cupping the bottom of their pen to stop anything leaking out) and unknowingly created an anaerobic fermented poopy cesspool from hell. Seriously, I ferment fertilizer for the garden and nothing has ever come close to the stench we had marinating in our LIVING ROOM. Forget air purifier, scented candles, and loss of smell - it's gonna take a priest to exorcise that stench away! :lau I really should have put some of that into a jar, because I know we're going to end up doing it again, because DUCKS!

Mine is starting to come back (had it Feb 2020) but I was able to get away with brooding 6 Appleyard ducklings inside for the first 7 (yes, SEVEN) weeks. Thank goodness my roommates either had Covid or have long lost their sense of smell from lifestyle habits. I cleaned out the pen frequently and was constantly adding horse stall sawdust pellets and fresh straw to the top, but even between that and and collective loss of sense of smell, the little poop monsters did not go unnoticed. ;)

THEN there was that time that half of the water spilled, and we just added straw and sawdust over it for a few days (we had a tarp cupping the bottom of their pen to stop anything leaking out) and unknowingly created an anaerobic fermented poopy cesspool from hell. Seriously, I ferment fertilizer for the garden and nothing has ever come close to the stench we had marinating in our LIVING ROOM. Forget air purifier, scented candles, and loss of smell - it's gonna take a priest to exorcise that stench away! :lau I really should have put some of that into a jar, because I know we're going to end up doing it again, because DUCKS!
I'm glad you are getting your sense of smell back, but sorry you need to enlist the services of a priest for your livingroom!

Yes, I am brooding in my house. I am prepared (in theory) for the mess and stink. In practice? Well, I'll let you know in about a month!

I am having dreams about duckies now. DREAMS. I am obsessed.

OH BUT GOOD NEWS! My hubby, who tolerates my obsessions but rarely supports them, gave me an opinion about the duckies yesterday. Knock me over with a feather! (Pun unintended)

I told him I might ask my students to help name the duckies, and he says, "But you always name them according to a system." And I'm like, "Yeah, but I can't decide which theme: fruit or gemstones."

And he said, "Go with fruit. Gemstone names are too complicated."

I about had a heart attack.
:th

You know what this means?! He might actually LIKE the ducks.

OH BUT GOOD NEWS! My hubby, who tolerates my obsessions but rarely supports them, gave me an opinion about the duckies yesterday. Knock me over with a feather! (Pun unintended)

I told him I might ask my students to help name the duckies, and he says, "But you always name them according to a system." And I'm like, "Yeah, but I can't decide which theme: fruit or gemstones."

Fruit! Perfect!! Now you can get 2000 ducks and have names for them all

Attachments

• Screenshot_151.png
    Screenshot_151.png
    24.2 KB · Views: 3

Ducks are very hard not to like, I think. Clearly I'm bonkers, but I'm also right. 😃

I suspect that soon your husband will be saying things like my partner says. "Nettle was talking about making an egg earlier today." Because, you know, ducks are so entertaining partners can't help but observe them for hours, learn their language, and report their bird conversations back to you.

I will never forget the morning after my wife got carried away and fed ½ pound of meal-worms in the evening to the 2019 spring-ducklings…
‼ You need to remember: The more protein a duckling eats to more the poop stinks!

Back
Top Bottom