What Breed Should I Get?

Pics
LOL. Is that for a brooder? If so, you can buy yourself some time and get away with starting them in a large plastic tote.
I bought a 110 gallon plastic water trough for $78 at TSC; figured that it could be a swimming pool later on down the road. Good enough for eight runners to eight weeks, but just barely!
Six ducks to ten weeks is acceptable too.
Coops take time, trust me!
20201027_175745.jpg

I bought a 110 gallon plastic water trough for $78 at TSC; figured that it could be a swimming pool later on down the road. Good enough for eight runners to eight weeks, but just barely!
Coops take time, trust me! View attachment 2501238
I've built 1 coop from scrap wood already. The other two have been converted sheds. I'll finish this within the next week or so.

I have a brooder already. I'm in good shape. I just don't want to be rushing around at the last minute.

Good luck on your coop! It looks nicer than my actual house!
:lau

Ok. New question.

I have 9 chickens. They eat a combo of all flock (thinking of changing because they aren't super happy with it) and grower (which they love but is whole seed type feed and is really best served fermented). I don't want to do fermented 24/7. They love love love it, but fermenting is time consuming. I don't like feeding layer because I have a tiny bantam rooster who really doesn't need any kidney problems. And I prefer feeding organic because I like to sell eggs at the local farmer's market, which requires all organic.

That's a lot...

Now I'm adding ducks. They will be layers, but not at first (obviously). While brooding, I will feed starter with added niacin.

But what about later?

In a perfect world, I'd feed an organic grower pellet that I don't have to ferment. I'd add niacin for the ducks.

Does that exist? I'm only finding organic layer pellet...

Ok. New question.

I have 9 chickens. They eat a combo of all flock (thinking of changing because they aren't super happy with it) and grower (which they love but is whole seed type feed and is really best served fermented). I don't want to do fermented 24/7. They love love love it, but fermenting is time consuming. I don't like feeding layer because I have a tiny bantam rooster who really doesn't need any kidney problems. And I prefer feeding organic because I like to sell eggs at the local farmer's market, which requires all organic.

That's a lot...

Now I'm adding ducks. They will be layers, but not at first (obviously). While brooding, I will feed starter with added niacin.

But what about later?

In a perfect world, I'd feed an organic grower pellet that I don't have to ferment. I'd add niacin for the ducks.

What brand of All Flock do you use? You could try switching brands. I don't think an organic pellet grower feed exists (yet!).

For your mixed flock, I recommend feeding All Flock with OS on the side for the layers. You could also add a little extra niacin to the feed because even All Flock isn't nutritionally complete.

You could offer fermented Scratch and Peck feed once a week to satisfy their cravings and add a little more nutrition to their diets!

Good luck!

I have Purina now. There are organic grower crumbles, but that just turned to powder. And they still get the fermented feed 2-3x/week.

Is there an organic all flock pellet? I haven't found any...

Thanks!

Coops take time, trust me! View attachment 2501238
Tell me about it! - Coops usually turn out to be a never ending story! There is always room for improvement… :lau

I have 3 cats, 2 dogs, 10 chickens.
Getting 3 goats and 2 llamas in March/april.
Getting 4 more chickens in April.
Getting ducks in April. I was thinking 2 ducks, but now thinking 4.

I have never ever ever been so happy with life! I feel like I'm dreaming some days. My little farm = Heaven on earth. I am so blessed! Sounds cheesy, but it's true.
I know this post is a little "old" and I haven;t read all of the replies yet, so you many have already changed your mind, BUT I for SURE wouldn't get only 2. Because if something happens to 1, well there is a lone duck left.

Ok. New question.

That's a lot...

But what about later?

My ducks (drakes inclusive!) eat layer pellets from the local Hillbilly-Feed-Mill. They also produce Moonshine, weed and lot's of kids. ;)
No clue if those pellets are organic, vegan or blessed - my ducks like them and that counts.
I bought more expensive pellets and crumbles from the farm-stores and the ducks gave me that »Are you trying to poison us?!« and played hide and poop with the food.
One 50lbs bag costs me $10 and i support a local business and not big corporate.
As for the ducklings, i bought Manna Pro Ducklings Starter for them and they grew up fine into feisty duckies.
The second ducklings were raised by their momma Katharina duck, they got extra meal-worms and ground up cat-food and ate the layer-pellets from day one on, as they saw their mom eating. They grew up just fine into feisty duckies.
The third ducklings were raised by their Momma Pinball and ate a gazillion of little flies from day one on. They also got some extra meal-worms and cat-food and grew up into feisty ducks by eating the layer-pellets.
Finally last year's fall ducklings got ground layer-pellets with cat-food and extra meal-worms and were switched to a diet of layer-pellets only when they were just four weeks old. They turned into thirteen feisty compost pirates.
Point is: All ducklings, except the first ones had plenty of access to the outdoors and with an abundant supply of insects and plants, naturally growing around here.
You can make yourself crazy about what to feed your ducklings or just feed them the same stuff that you feed to the grown-ups. Add a little more protein (cat-food, meal-worms) and they will grow up just fine.
For the grown up ducks, if they have room to roam around, they will give a quack on your pellets during the summer and eat outside whatever they can get their bills on. Ducks are somewhat not critical when it comes to eating. They eat everything!
Organic? - Imho (!) the biggest scam in the food world! There is no clear definition of what organic means, just a broad and vague set of recommendations… https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organic_food

I know this post is a little "old" and I haven;t read all of the replies yet, so you many have already changed your mind, BUT I for SURE wouldn't get only 2. Because if something happens to 1, well there is a lone duck left.
Yeah 3 or 4 is the best bet for sure
I'm getting 4!!!

Well, the official "husband version" of the story is that I'm getting 3, and - would you look at that - they sent a "packing peanut."

Back
Top Bottom