What Breed Should I Get?

Pics
I'm pretty nervous - it's supposed to be down to -2 the day they ship here, and mine are going all the way from Metzer to upstate NY. Hope I don't regret ordering ducklings so early!
If you have a smaller order they ship them with a heat pack to help keep them warm. And they have insulated boxes to help keep in the warmth. They talk about in their minimum order section on the website. They should hopefully arrive safe and sound.

Now I'm wondering if I should wait until next year... I don't want to open a box of dead duckies.
IMO and experience with three shipments, cooler weather is better.
My last eight that shipped late October were practically carrying their own box!
They have continued to be very rambunctious ducks!
I was calling them 'The Hateful Eight' but the Bosslady didn't like that, so they are now the 'Reprobate Eight'.🧨

New thought...

I have 2 broodies right now. I could easily give them ducklings. But the hen I have who was raised by a broody is very standoffish. I'd like my ducks to be more like pets.

Pros:
They'd be integrated into the flock by Violet and Dandelion
No stink in the house
My broodies would be happy
Might be better for the flock in the long run

Cons:
I'd worry about them during the day
I'd worry about them at night
They might be less friendly
Might be better for easier to handle ducks, which would be better for the ducks in the long run

Thoughts?

Hmmm... are your broody hens friendly? The ducklings will most likely be much more friendly if you raise them yourself, maybe if the hen was friendly enough to allow you close to them that would work. I would probably play it safe and just raise them inside just so nothing happens to them under your hens protection. Also if you put them with the hens there is a chance they won't follow them around as they might already be imprinted on eachother.

Hmmm... are your broody hens friendly? The ducklings will most likely be much more friendly if you raise them yourself, maybe if the hen was friendly enough to allow you close to them that would work. I would probably play it safe and just raise them inside just so nothing happens to them under your hens protection. Also if you put them with the hens there is a chance they won't follow them around as they might already be imprinted on eachother.
That makes sense. And it gives me the option to put some chocks under my broodies.

That said, my broodies are pretty friendly. They're my Silkies, who are just really.. silly. Violet loves me, but ever since she's become the rooster's fave, she's been a little standoffish. Plus, he don't like sharing...

The only problem with hatching eggs is you have to be prepared to deal with too many males. You could have the hens hatch the eggs and then take away the ducklings. I would lean to bringing them inside. They get less social when they are outside, and some of the best memories I have of my ducks are when they were ducklings.

Attachments

• PXL_20201010_043330475.jpg
    PXL_20201010_043330475.jpg
    581.9 KB · Views: 3
The only problem with hatching eggs is you have to be prepared to deal with too many males. You could have the hens hatch the eggs and then take away the ducklings. I would lean to bringing them inside. They get less social when they are outside, and some of the best memories I have of my ducks are when they were ducklings.
I was thinking of putting the ducklings under them. Too many males is the sole reason I don't let my hens hatch any eggs. I have one little rooster. He is MORE than enough!

I will keep them inside. I just read all of these duckling brooder horror stories. I'm fully expecting stink and mess. It's the rest of the household I worry about! I don't think they are prepared.

The biggest problem I have ever had with brooder is water. Giving the ducks something to be on that can catch water under their waterer is the main thing that helps with the mess. Otherwise it can be a watery mess. But with 4 it should not be as big of a mess. Ducks are just messy by nature. They can't keep anything clean for long.

New thought...

I have 2 broodies right now. I could easily give them ducklings. But the hen I have who was raised by a broody is very standoffish. I'd like my ducks to be more like pets.

Pros:
They'd be integrated into the flock by Violet and Dandelion
No stink in the house
My broodies would be happy
Might be better for the flock in the long run

Cons:
I'd worry about them during the day
I'd worry about them at night
They might be less friendly
Might be better for easier to handle ducks, which would be better for the ducks in the long run

Thoughts?
You caught the pro's and the con's almost purrfect! Except for the worry parts: You won't have to worry that much! Duck Mommas take really good care of the ducklings day and night and usually most of the ducks in your flock somehow get involved with duckling duty. For the ducklings it is like growing up in a huge family. Just the drakes might be a problem.

Back
Top Bottom