What Breed Should I Get?

Pics
One of my ducklings nipped my dog in the nose when it was like a week or so old. My dog got all scared. She still is suspicious of the ducks and all the ducks love to follow her around 😂. She is an 75 lb Chow mix and scared of ducks.

A small cage works for a while, but they grow shockingly fast. When I had Pekins, I would say goodnight to them, and then be shocked the next morning they were bigger. Other breeds don't grow quite so fast, but they quickly out grow their area. If I have to clean the cage twice a day, they need a bigger area. In the summer I got away with smaller areas, but I was able to keep them outside for several hours. You also may need a lid just if some decide to jump out. My last couple, khaki campbells, they would leap out of the cage for play time. Despite being outside nearly all day, they still wanted to play. Many of my others could have jumped out, but never did.

One of my ducklings nipped my dog in the nose when it was like a week or so old. My dog got all scared. She still is suspicious of the ducks and all the ducks love to follow her around 😂. She is an 75 lb Chow mix and scared of ducks.

A small cage works for a while, but they grow shockingly fast. When I had Pekins, I would say goodnight to them, and then be shocked the next morning they were bigger. Other breeds don't grow quite so fast, but they quickly out grow their area. If I have to clean the cage twice a day, they need a bigger area. In the summer I got away with smaller areas, but I was able to keep them outside for several hours. You also may need a lid just if some decide to jump out. My last couple, khaki campbells, they would leap out of the cage for play time. Despite being outside nearly all day, they still wanted to play. Many of my others could have jumped out, but never did.
We've got a couple of vicious beasties!

I think I just solved my problem. My future DIL has a couple of big ol rabbit cages. One is 8 sq ft, and they can be joined as they grow. I'll give that a go.

9 more dayssssss........

That is seriously resourceful!

How much room do I need for 4 ducklings? Since this is going in my house, it needs to fit and have a lid or some other covering because cats and a very nosy chiweenie. That's why I was leaning toward a tote type thing. I think I found larger ones at a store down in the valley. I can try tomorrow.

The dog is only a problem when they're tiny. Once they get as tall as she is, she gets scared. It won't take long for ducks to be as tall as she is. She's very low to the ground. Little thing has 3 inch legs - haha!
Poor dog! They will scare the cr@p out of her once they figure out that she is afraid!
Four ducklings? That what my flock-planner has calculated:
1612116778675.png

Ducklings are escape artists and curious! We went to town grocery shopping one afternoon and when we returned a couple of hours later there were ducklings running around in the garage: They had pulled down the tarp, chewed through the cardboard walls and went exploring the garage…

Poor dog! They will scare the cr@p out of her once they figure out that she is afraid!
Four ducklings? That what my flock-planner has calculated:
View attachment 2510367
I didn't see this part when I used your planner! I am good for up to 16 ft with the brooder, and I can probably move them out before 8 weeks in my climate. I am good, then, and I can make adjustments as needed.

YAY! Thank you for this! Makes me feel much more confident.

Ducklings are escape artists and curious! We went to town grocery shopping one afternoon and when we returned a couple of hours later there were ducklings running around in the garage: They had pulled down the tarp, chewed through the cardboard walls and went exploring the garage…
Ooh! The little stinkers! I bet THAT was a mess... And then having to round them all up again! 🤣 😂 😂 🤣 😂

That is seriously resourceful!

How much room do I need for 4 ducklings? Since this is going in my house, it needs to fit and have a lid or some other covering because cats and a very nosy chiweenie. That's why I was leaning toward a tote type thing. I think I found larger ones at a store down in the valley. I can try tomorrow.

The dog is only a problem when they're tiny. Once they get as tall as she is, she gets scared. It won't take long for ducks to be as tall as she is. She's very low to the ground. Little thing has 3 inch legs - haha!
110 gallon water trough $80 TSC and done!
Use it as a pool when they grow up.

110 gallon water trough $80 TSC and done!
Use it as a pool when they grow up.
Too wide for the space I have for it. Gotta remember this is going in my (small) house. I brood chicks in my dining room. Ducks will be in the livingroom.

Aaaanddd... my mom is moving to a fancy-pants retirement community in a couple of weeks. I've already taken in one of her dogs. I'm also inheriting her cat who will also be housed in the livingroom. He's very very very old and needs supervision. When we are away or asleep, kitty's gonna be put in a large dog crate with a litter box and whatnot.

My house is becoming a circus.

I didn't see this part when I used your planner! I am good for up to 16 ft with the brooder, and I can probably move them out before 8 weeks in my climate. I am good, then, and I can make adjustments as needed.

YAY! Thank you for this! Makes me feel much more confident.
I threw out the 2019 Spring Ducklings when they were eight weeks old. At that time they turned the content of a three Gallon waterer and a one Gallon feeder into stinky poop twice a day and the garage's concrete floor started to soften. They were fully feathered at that time.
If you give them some outside play-time when they are older than two weeks and the weather is not too bad, like something above 10° (50F), even for just an hour, it will speed up feather development.
And it is fun to dee little ducklings discover the big outdoors…
Below are the fall ducklings exploring the sweet potato jungle, 12 days old and it was ~16° (60F) outside:

Back
Top Bottom