What breed to get?

Ahuntley72

In the Brooder
Jan 6, 2020
Connecticut
Hello! I am asking for advice!!

I got 6 pullets on June 20, 2020. 3 barred rock, 1 black australorp, and 2 light brahmas. (my original order was 3 barred rocks and 3 buff orpingtons but apparently the buffs were roosters, so I was surprised by the others). Unfortunately, 2 of the Barred rocks turned out to be roosters. I just have a small 6x8 coop, 8x10 run and they get 1-2 hours of free range every evening. So I think I can comfortably house 7 chickens. They just started laying this last week. I am returning the two roosters. They are willing to replace the two roosters and I will buy one more pullet in the next few weeks. My options are : Rhode Island Red, Buff Orpington, Barred Rock, Araucana, and Black Astralorp. I have a very mixed breed group of chickens. does any one have a recommendation of what breed would be the easiest to integrate?? Thanks you so much! (Ihavent really posted - but I have learned sooo much from all the experts here!!!)

Hello! I am asking for advice!!

I got 6 pullets on June 20, 2020. 3 barred rock, 1 black australorp, and 2 light brahmas. (my original order was 3 barred rocks and 3 buff orpingtons but apparently the buffs were roosters, so I was surprised by the others). Unfortunately, 2 of the Barred rocks turned out to be roosters. I just have a small 6x8 coop, 8x10 run and they get 1-2 hours of free range every evening. So I think I can comfortably house 7 chickens. They just started laying this last week. I am returning the two roosters. They are willing to replace the two roosters and I will buy one more pullet in the next few weeks. My options are : Rhode Island Red, Buff Orpington, Barred Rock, Araucana, and Black Astralorp. I have a very mixed breed group of chickens. does any one have a recommendation of what breed would be the easiest to integrate?? Thanks you so much! (Ihavent really posted - but I have learned sooo much from all the experts here!!!)
I think you can not go wrong with any of the breeds listed! Black australorps are usually easy going and gorgeous!:)

Best if you have at least two and not just a single one by itself. If you can divide your coop or run area so that the newbies have a separate section to themselves where they can see the other chickens and the other chickens can see them but no physical interaction. Do this for at least two weeks. If you look on the threads there are multiple posts with more professional advice. Just search under integration. For example “integrating new hens into existing flock”.
It took me about five weeks to integrate two different age group chicks together. But I finally have a harmonious flock!
You should also look under advice regarding quarantine of new birds so they don’t bring any diseases into your existing flock as well.
Good luck. It takes time, but worth it in the end.😊

Best if you have at least two and not just a single one by itself. If you can divide your coop or run area so that the newbies have a separate section to themselves where they can see the other chickens and the other chickens can see them but no physical interaction. Do this for at least two weeks. If you look on the threads there are multiple posts with more professional advice. Just search under integration. For example “integrating new hens into existing flock”.
It took me about five weeks to integrate two different age group chicks together. But I finally have a harmonious flock!
You should also look under advice regarding quarantine of new birds so they don’t bring any diseases into your existing flock as well.
Good luck. It takes time, but worth it in the end.😊
Thank you very much!! I will definitely search that thread! This is very helpful =)

Back
Top Bottom