What Breed to pick?

Pics

Alagirl

Crowing
8 Years
Jun 19, 2015
Central Alabama
So, after my dreadful disaster I have been thinking a lot about what I can improve (and considering getting a roo - erm, better not)

I had 6 little ISA Brown chicks and I liked them a lot for the short week they lived with me. I am considering that the store might not have any going into summer, and their source only ships in increments of 10. I think 6 is pushing it for a family of three.

So I looked at another source and they ship smaller numbers. I should be able to work around my idiosyncracies about having 5 chicks vs 6 but they don't carry ISA chicks. Now, seeing that I have no clue about how the chicks could have turned out, I am kind of stuck on them. I don't care if the eggs are brown or purple, and there is more than one tan/brown kind of chicken. Plus I won't enter any shows (yet, anyhow)

So, instruct this noob chicken owner wannabe: What is a good breed for a first-timer wanting some fresh eggs?
If a hatchery states their chicks are 'not docile' is that a nice way of saying the beasts will be opinionated? Or if a hatchery in Texas states 'not particularly heat tolerant' should I avoid them here in the hot and humid South-east?

This week has been busy, so I have not been able to make the improvements on my confinement, plus another couple dozen ideas popped into my head like a multiball pinball game with fireworks (A scary discovery I am making about myself lately)

or should I get myself a nice surprise basket of chicks, guessing what I have, and explore from there?

I am also somewhat new to chickens, but I have found that my 6 birds' personalities and egg-laying patterns don't necessarily match what various descriptions claim. Ex: Light Brahmas are known for being very docile and friendly (mine is fairly skittish, although not aggressive at all). I've heard Olive Eggers are known to be noisy (mine barely makes a peep). People rave about Orpingtons being friendly and laying large eggs (mine is the most aloof of the group and lays itty bitty ones). I could go on...

My point is: go with breeds that are suitable for your climate and the size coop you have (ex: do you want a few large breeds or a larger group of bantams?). In terms of egg quantity, my ISA Brown takes the cake. 2nd place would be my Olive Egger. I'm also a fan of mixing breeds based on egg color, as it makes it easier to keep track of who's laying what, how frequently, etc. It can be more confusing when you have more than one of a specific breed to determine, just for example, which one is laying misshapen eggs.

I'm also a fan of mixing breeds based on egg color, as it makes it easier to keep track of who's laying what, how frequently, etc. It can be more confusing when you have more than one of a specific breed to determine, just for example, which one is laying misshapen eggs.
Definitely agree with this! If you can get 5 different breeds you’ll be able to tell much easier who lays each day or identify if someone is having a problem.

In which case, I would offer as a recommendation:
ISA Brown, Easter Egger, Olive Egger, Leghorn, and Australorp. All heat hardy and should give you 5 different colored eggs and a good supply!

Disaster? 😢

Go Ahead, Pick the Prettiest Chickens!

More seriously, here in the Steamy Southeast, the birds that do best in the heat are the clean-legged, lighter-weight birds with large, single combs.

In my flock the California White and the Australorps have done best so far.

Brahmas are weirdly heat-tolerant up to a point, but my Wyandotte seems to suffer more than the rest of the flock (I'm worried about my son's pet Cochin in her first summer as an adult).

What traits in particular are you looking for? High egg production? Friendly? Docile? Flighty/predator aware? Will they be confined in a run or free range?
I have a 1/4 acre in a suburban setting - meaning one-family ranch style houses all around., but probably no free range as I have a hawk in the neighborhood, and my dogs are living up to their huntery family tree (Dachshunds with a shot of terrier....oye veh I should get a Turkey for them to deal with....but then again, I have seen a Tom fight it out with a Peacock....awe-inspiring, but a big fat NOPE in terms of ownership for either).
I just want some fresh eggs that taste good. No roos, because my neighbors are on top of us. It was kind of weird to have a goat bleeting last year, not so fun to smell Billy Gruff.

So with the limited space I have, I don't want to suit up to collect eggs, or travel the neighborhood to find my chicks.
And they will definitely die of old age here, because I know I can't do the deed to put them in the pot. (I never did stick around to see the end of the Survivor episode from many years ago, when the contestants 'won' live chickens for completing a challenge....'who is going to kill them' one lady asked. I thought 'if I kill them I will eat them' alas, off topic)

of course, going with the hatchery grab bag, I am not guaranteed I get one of each, not 5 of one kind....which would be fine.

Disaster? 😢

Go Ahead, Pick the Prettiest Chickens!

More seriously, here in the Steamy Southeast, the birds that do best in the heat are the clean-legged, lighter-weight birds with large, single combs.

In my flock the California White and the Australorps have done best so far.

Brahmas are weirdly heat-tolerant up to a point, but my Wyandotte seems to suffer more than the rest of the flock (I'm worried about my son's pet Cochin in her first summer as an adult).
Yes, my flock got wiped out in a single moment of lapsed judgment. Good thing the dog is cute....
I think California Whites were what I had also looked at, but they were either straight runs or had stuff on their butts, so I opted for the ISA chicks. And of course there were a bunch in the back room I had not known about nor considered, so I made my choice simple.
Seems a lot of people have the Wyandottes around here.

Heck, who knows, I might enter my hatchery rejects into the county fair, just because we have one still :)

I have a 1/4 acre in a suburban setting - meaning one-family ranch style houses all around., but probably no free range as I have a hawk in the neighborhood, and my dogs are living up to their huntery family tree (Dachshunds with a shot of terrier....oye veh I should get a Turkey for them to deal with....but then again, I have seen a Tom fight it out with a Peacock....awe-inspiring, but a big fat NOPE in terms of ownership for either).
I just want some fresh eggs that taste good. No roos, because my neighbors are on top of us. It was kind of weird to have a goat bleeting last year, not so fun to smell Billy Gruff.

So with the limited space I have, I don't want to suit up to collect eggs, or travel the neighborhood to find my chicks.
And they will definitely die of old age here, because I know I can't do the deed to put them in the pot. (I never did stick around to see the end of the Survivor episode from many years ago, when the contestants 'won' live chickens for completing a challenge....'who is going to kill them' one lady asked. I thought 'if I kill them I will eat them' alas, off topic)

of course, going with the hatchery grab bag, I am not guaranteed I get one of each, not 5 of one kind....which would be fine.
The only thing I would worry about with the grab bag is getting cold-hardy breeds that have trouble in the heat. I wish some of these hatcheries offered cold-hardy mixes and heat-hardy mixes!

Back
Top Bottom