What Breed to pick?

I am just skipping the ducks for now.

Ok, one more thing (the store still has chicks) if I am ordering online I am getting wee little chicks? Is that not something a little more advanced than buying chicks that already eat and drink?

I am just skipping the ducks for now.

Ok, one more thing (the store still has chicks) if I am ordering online I am getting wee little chicks? Is that not something a little more advanced than buying chicks that already eat and drink?

Chicks from the hatchery are shipped the day they hatch.

Since chicks absorb their yolk just before hatching they have 3 days of nutrition and water before they *need* to eat and drink (though the ones I hatched myself were happy to eat and drink as soon as I took them out of the incubator.

I have chicks coming next week. They're hatching on Monday and will ship out Monday and probably reach me on Wednesday.

...wee little chicks? Is that not something a little more advanced than buying chicks that already eat and drink?
Not really. There isn't much to getting them to eat and drink. The bigger advantage is the chicks from the bargain bin are less fragile. At the cost of missing the cutest stage and increasing the risk they are mislabeled.

In your situation, I would get a heritage breed (as opposed to a production breed) for a better chance of more years of production. The fewer and sometimes smaller eggs per year that come with that longer life would be an advantage (my neighbors asked for fewer eggs, please!)

The breeds best able to handle the heat tend to be more flighty. If you get a mix of flighty and nonflighty breeds they tend to buffer each other - they learn a lot from each other.

If you have a lot of deep shade, it doesn't matter as much what color you get. Otherwise, lighter colors are better.

If you are a calm person who can move quietly, or you want to watch the chickens more than hold them I recommend whichever of the mediterannean breeds or Old English Game breeds you like the looks of the best.

Easter Eggers could be a good choice too. I've got one that lays like an ISA (6/7 days a week) and they all lay various shades of eggs so you can tell who lays. Clean legged and lighter bodied than a lot of other breeds. They also come in many various colors in plumage, and seem to take good care of themselves. I also love my barred rocks. Pretty good on being all around good chickens. My two lay most days as well, but not every day. Both of those breeds in my flock love to forage and also don't seem to mind being confined for a couple months now because of avian influenza even though they have had range access most of their lives.

Back
Top Bottom