What Breed to pick?

Yeah that’s not usually a waterer to cause problems. I’m so sorry. 😞 In the future you could put some marbles in the water to be extra safe. Haven’t done that but there’s a few members who have. Fingers crossed for a RIR pullet.
hmm. I have marbles.
how many does one put in the waterer to make a difference?

I honestly think though the chick was not quite right,

That happens sometimes. The jumping shouldn't have caused any issue -- chicks often do that and come out fine.

They run out of yolk on about day 3 so day 4 is a common time for chicks who have inborn issues to die.

Some places will refund/replace a chick that dies within a certain time period so be sure to contact the store.

That happens sometimes. The jumping shouldn't have caused any issue -- chicks often do that and come out fine.

They run out of yolk on about day 3 so day 4 is a common time for chicks who have inborn issues to die.

Some places will refund/replace a chick that dies within a certain time period so be sure to contact the store.
I just buried her.
Time to read the small print I guess.

People have given you great options, but I do suggest you get multiple different breeds.
I picked 3 kinds and have now a ratio of 2/2/1, hoping the 1 will be a hen as well, as it was from a straight run. Unfortunately, the 4th kind of chick was out when I went to the store. Friday afternoon they had a bunch, Saturday morning they were all gone. Smockey Pearl, I believe, but lord, I can't remember what I did a moment ago. So I picked 2 Americana, 2 Barred Rock, 1 RIR from the straight run batch.

I picked 3 kinds and have now a ratio of 2/2/1, hoping the 1 will be a hen as well, as it was from a straight run. Unfortunately, the 4th kind of chick was out when I went to the store. Friday afternoon they had a bunch, Saturday morning they were all gone. Smockey Pearl, I believe, but lord, I can't remember what I did a moment ago. So I picked 2 Americana, 2 Barred Rock, 1 RIR from the straight run batch.
Ah. I didnt read the whole thread. I guess I should have!

Back
Top Bottom