What breed would you reccomend?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Paintedhorsegirl, May 17, 2011.

1. Paintedhorsegirl

Paintedhorsegirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2011
    I am looking into getting some goslings to raise with my flock. I am wondering what breed do you think is the best and why?

Right now Im leaning towards embdens or pilgrims, but Ive noticed pilgrims are are hard to find..

2. poultryfan73

poultryfan73 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2010
    Tioga County Pa
    I want pilgrims as well and they are very hard to find [​IMG]

3. toadbriar

toadbriar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2010
    central massacheezits
    What traits are you looking for? I was after calm temperament first, a relatively uncommon breed as from the Livestock Breed Conservancy, and decent size, but being my first geese I didn't want giant exhibition birds because I worried about giant size, rapid growth, and leg problems (not sure how valid such concerns are with geese in particular, but heard of it enough in various creatures that I was concerned.) Didn't care so much about sexual dimorphism. Pretty colors were a plus - but I didn't want to risk sacrificing temperament for nice colors, so I didn't tend toward american blues or lavender. I went with american buff, they were a perfect fit and I am very pleased with them so far - got them as day olds from Metzer's in March. Metzer's awesome reputation for vigorous birds and fantastic customer support also influenced my choice.

So my longwinded point I guess is, see what traits you want/don't want and find the bird that matches [​IMG]

4. Alas

Alas Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    Covington, LA
    I love my Embdens. I have 4 hatching out as we speak from my mating pair [​IMG]

5. Paintedhorsegirl

Mar 23, 2011
    I want really good temperament , nice , calm, not aggressive. I have 2 little kids so I need them to be friendly. I want to be able to have them free range with my flock of ducks and chickens. I heard chinese geese can be aggressive, and I know there are other breeds known for being aggressive. Im trying to choose a friendly calm breed. Ive done a lot of reading on them but I find its more helpful to hear first hand experience.

6. DuckDuckDuckGoose

DuckDuckDuckGoose Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2011
    The Great Northwest
    Quote:I think the Sebbies are so cute. (sebestabol? not sure spelling:/)
    T.
    FYI- most all geese can be agressive (to a point) in mating season Feb-june.

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  7. Gracie9205

Gracie9205 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    Lake Charles, LA
    I have Sebastopol geese which are known for being docile, and my females are by far the friendliest. The males tend to be a quite snippy during the breeding season. My males will hiss and lower their heads at me, but they will really try to get after my niece and nephew who are 2 and 5 years old. The males are not allowed out of their pen if the children are around. Breeding season or not, they will try to get them. My geese were not raised around small children though, so this may make quite a bit of difference. I have found with my geese that they seem to get really attached to whoever is taking care of them, and the other people are just fun to chase! They learn REALLY quickly who they can bully.

I would suggest getting some American Buff Geese or Sebastopol Geese. I have had both and really enjoy them.

8. Sore Thumb Suburbanite

Sore Thumb Suburbanite Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    orange county
    Quote:I second the sebastopol and buff geese recomendations, Pilgrims and Buff geese are tough to come by, and generally get sold out quickly and hatcheries often onlysell them straight run... ugh, I just went through all that myself and got 2 boys. I would suggest you only get females, go with a medium breed like pilgrim and buff and that you make sure the goslings imprint on your children...all this should reduce any agressiveness and mating issues. Also, get Dave Holderread's book on geese, its fantastic and really helps you understand goose behavior so you don't fall into bad habbits and contribute to problems.

Metzer farms sells pilgrims so does murray mcmurray hatchery... I think with metzer you can specify sex on pilgrims. Good luck! You won't regret geese, they will be very protective of your flock and have funny personalities.

9. DurhamDuck

DurhamDuck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    Durham, Connecticut
    Metzer Farms is sold out on Pilgrims until next spring (I tried to get some). Instead we ordered American Buff and adore them, VERY friendly and follow us around all the time.
    I have found Pilgrim geese on Craigs List- so you might want to look or advertise on there.

10. Paintedhorsegirl

Mar 23, 2011
    Thanx everyone for the great advise..I will let you know which breed I decide to go with

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by