What breed?

giwa

Songster
5 Years
Mar 9, 2018
I guess he could just be called a buff Orpington ( that is what people have said that he is ) but could he be a mixed breed? He was picked from a horse trough full of chicks with no sign as to what they were and there were different kinds and colors of chicks in there. As a chick he was a classic looking yellow chick. He just doesn't look completely like buff Orpington pictures I see online. Sometimes he gets a black tinge on a couple of tail feathers. He likes sun and doesn't seem to like cold. I just can't find anything that looks completely like him. His face and body look more Buff rock but his beak and feet look more Orpington.

Attachments

• IMG_4024.JPG
    IMG_4024.JPG
    971.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_4028.JPG
    IMG_4028.JPG
    895.9 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
I agree, he doesn't look much like the Buff Orpington roosters I've seen, but I usually have English bloodlines and the hatcheries here will mostly be supplying American bloodlines so it's possible that he could be an Orpington I guess. You could check to see what hatchery your feed store gets their chicks from and then you could browse through their breeds as well as check to see what their Buff Orpingtons look like. For example, I just happened to pull up this hatchery and he does look a good bit like the rooster from that hatchery. It wouldn't be the first time there was a mix up at a hatchery if that's the case though, lol.

https://www.purelypoultry.com/buff-orpington-chickens-p-359.html

I agree, he doesn't look much like the Buff Orpington roosters I've seen, but I usually have English bloodlines and the hatcheries here will mostly be supplying American bloodlines so it's possible that he could be an Orpington I guess. You could check to see what hatchery your feed store gets their chicks from and then you could browse through their breeds as well as check to see what their Buff Orpingtons look like. For example, I just happened to pull up this hatchery and he does look a good bit like the rooster from that hatchery. It wouldn't be the first time there was a mix up at a hatchery if that's the case though, lol.

https://www.purelypoultry.com/buff-orpington-chickens-p-359.html

That is a good Idea! I will contact the store and hatchery.

Back
Top Bottom