What breed?

Cameron_8

Chirping
Jan 5, 2021
I am wondering if I breed this guy (I think either an ameraucana or easter egger) with my hens that lay blue eggs, would the offspring lay blue eggs?

Attachments

• 20210416_110012.jpg
    20210416_110012.jpg
    601 KB · Views: 4
It depends on the hens too. Blue is dominant over white, so your blue laying hens could either have one copy or two copies of the blue egg gene. If she has two copies, her offspring would for sure get one, so they would either lay blue or green. But if the hen has only one copy, then just 50% of her chicks will inherit it. (although they could still get a blue egg gene from dad, if he is what you think.)

If the rooster has two copies of the blue laying gene, he'd have to pass that on, but I'm not sure how you'd tell.

Somebody wrote a really informative article, which is where I'm getting most of my information.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/understanding-egg-color-genetics.1445199/#post-24008740

It depends on the hens too. Blue is dominant over white, so your blue laying hens could either have one copy or two copies of the blue egg gene. If she has two copies, her offspring would for sure get one, so they would either lay blue or green. But if the hen has only one copy, then just 50% of her chicks will inherit it. (although they could still get a blue egg gene from dad, if he is what you think.)

If the rooster has two copies of the blue laying gene, he'd have to pass that on, but I'm not sure how you'd tell.

Somebody wrote a really informative article, which is where I'm getting most of my information.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/understanding-egg-color-genetics.1445199/#post-24008740
So, do you think I would be better off taking him out and breeding my bcm roo to the hens instead for olive eggs?

So, do you think I would be better off taking him out and breeding my bcm roo to the hens instead for olive eggs?

*Shrug* I am not an expert. But, the same idea applies. I think if the hen has two copies of the blue gene, the offspring from a BCM cross would definitely be olive eggers, and if she only has one copy, half the chicks will be olive eggers and the other half would lay brown.

Back
Top Bottom