What breed?

JesusIsTheSavior65

Hatching
9 Years
Oct 1, 2010
Hi there!
I had been planning on getting a duckling for a while. I was saving up my money for vet bills and anything else it might need at a moment's notice (I had everything else ready; I wanted to be well prepared), but then, well... What can I say. I saw ducklings in a little cage with a bunch of chicks while buying feed for our pony, and I fell in love. I just had to get one.
And so I did. She's well spoiled now, and almost full grown. I love her to death and back. But there's one thing that's been bothering me. I have absolutely no idea what breed she is!
When she was a duckling, she was completely yellow, with absolutely no sign of any other markings. I always figured her to be a Pekin. But as she grew, she developed fawn markings, and her beak is now speckled. Her features are mainly Pekin-ish, so could it be that she's a pekin/runner cross, or something similar? Or just some breed I'm unfamiliar with?

Some more details, if it will help: She has blue eyes, and a sort of mohawk thing going on at the back of her neck. She's always had a little crest on the back of her head, a small but noticeable one.

Thanks for any help you can give me! I'm going to put pictures up as soon as possible.

Very lucky duck!!! to have you as an owner
smile.png
Can you post some pics of her? Would be a much better way of finding out what you have....... sounds like it's a crested something.

@bemba: Haha, thank you!
smile.png
I'm trying to get some pictures up right now. All I have to do is hunt down that sneaky cord for my camera.
tongue.png

@Sheila: She sure does! With the exception of the head and bill. Her bill doesn't run as smooth(?) from the head as his, and it's a different shape. Ah, I'm terrible at explaining things, I fear.
lol.png
Hm, her crest is also smaller, but I don't suppose that matters much. Perhaps she's just the result of bad breeding? I'm about to post pictures soon.
smile.png

And I must say, Sammy is very handsome! He looks delighted.
lol.png
I love that ducky grin.
big_smile.png

Finally, pictures! Forgive me for the bad quality; I had to use my phone this time.

10021014.jpg

She didn't care too much for the whole beak-holding ordeal.
lol.png

10021016.jpg

Don't let the grin fool you; she's just coming out to kick my butt for making her sleep in the carrier last night.
tongue.png

10012123.jpg

Sooo, I figured a bath would appease her...

10012205.jpg

And so it did.
big_smile.png

...for a while. She sure gave me an earful after she was done with her grooming.
lol.png

So, what do you think? Looking at these pictures, she certainly does look like a runner, but I'll leave that decision up to you guys. xD
(PS: Is it just me, or are those pictures really huge?)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom