What breed

chickanddoglvr

In the Brooder
9 Years
Oct 7, 2010
Cincinnati Oh
I am becoming interested on starting to show a chickens. I am getting some more chickens this comming spring. any breeds that are good egg layers and can become show chickens?

A lot of chickens can be layers and show fowl, how good of a layer are you looking for? Typically any production breeds can be good layers and show birds, but you have to get the right stock. Talk to the breeders about there birds, see what they say on laying abilities etc.

-Daniel

Any pure bred bird recognized by the APA can be shown. Are you in an area that is cold or hot, are there any breeds in particular that appeal to you

Any breed that is a good layer. i live in cincinnati OH what would i haft to do about the winter and everything else. any websites would be good.

Quote:
White leghorns is probably the best layer, and I think they're nice looking. Also semi-rare in the exhibition strains, so that could be a plus too if you're into rare breeds and such. Another layer I'd probably get is rose comb rhode island reds. But that is just me, leghorns be cheaper on feed I imagine too but if you get white or silvers, you will need to keep them out of the sun and can't feed them corn. It'll make them yellow, and ruin them in the show room.

-Daniel;

Quote:
White leghorns is probably the best layer, and I think they're nice looking. Also semi-rare in the exhibition strains, so that could be a plus too if you're into rare breeds and such. Another layer I'd probably get is rose comb rhode island reds. But that is just me, leghorns be cheaper on feed I imagine too but if you get white or silvers, you will need to keep them out of the sun and can't feed them corn. It'll make them yellow, and ruin them in the show room.

-Daniel;

I'd say buckeye they originated in Ohio and they are good layers and show birds
DTchickens- leghorns have frost bite prone combs but they are very good layers
or even Rhode island reds are also good
punky
big_smile.png

ETA: my avatar is a buckeye cockerel

Last edited:
Please consider an endangered heritage breed. Many of them are excellent layers and nice to look at.

Hope you win lots of blue ribbons

Rancher

Last edited:
Quote:

-Daniel;

I'd say buckeye they originated in Ohio and they are good layers and show birds
DTchickens- leghorns have frost bite prone combs but they are very good layers
or even Rhode island reds are also good
punky
big_smile.png

ETA: my avatar is a buckeye cockerel

True, I didn't think about the frost bite issues on large combs. But you can also figure in that there are the rose comb leghorns too. So that can help out on the frost bite issues. And even adds to their rarity more!
big_smile.png

-Daniel

There are the rose and pea combed breeds. The rhode island red is nice.

With the right precautions taken , frost bite need not be a problem. Some breeds do better than others. The new Back Yard Poultry magazine has a nice article on winter care.

Show birds require alot of pampering and would not be kept with the "flock" so some form of heat would be necessary IMO.

Rancher

Back
Top Bottom