What breeds are friendliest?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by scott6150, Sep 30, 2014.

1. scott6150

scott6150 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2013
    Brown's Point, WA
    I just offloaded two RIRs and one barred rock that were picking on one of my buffs. What breeds tend to be the most docile, yet good layers??

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    RIRs are notorious as the bullies of a mixed flock.

There are a lot of docile breeds. Orps, Brahmas, Cochins, Jersey Giants and silkies are among them.
    I call JGs gentle giants.
    There are lots of other "nice" breeds though.
    Here are 2 good breed selection charts with characteristics.
    Keep in mind that there can be a bully individual of a docile breed and vice versa. They're kind of like humans. Some are mean, some aren't.

http://www.albc-usa.org/documents/chickenbreedcomparison.pdf

http://www.sagehenfarmlodi.com/chooks/chooks.html

3. Whovian

Whovian Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2013
    Connecticut
    Buff Orpingtons are super friendly and sweet. We also have three Ameraucanas that are super sweet.

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    By reputation (and I can vouch for this having had all of these breeds except the Faverolles), the most docile and gentle standard breeds are (in no particular order) Australorps, Orpingtons, Cochins, Brahmas, Sussex, and Faverolles. Of these breeds, Australorps are the best layers (a Black Australorp holds the brown egg laying record with 364 eggs in 365 days) and Cochins are the poorest (but the best brooders and mothers). Orpingtons, Brahmas, Sussex, and Faverolles all lay at pretty much the same rate, although Brahma eggs tend to run slightly smaller than the others.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by