What breeds are good winter layers?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by redoak, Nov 9, 2008.

1. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    From your experience what breeds of chickens are good winter layers? Also do you provide yours with supplemental light to keep up their production or do yours lay good in the winter without extra light?

2. Southerngirl

Southerngirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    Black Australorps ! We do not use any artificial light and still get plenty of eggs . They are a wonderful addition to the barnyard![​IMG]

3. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
  4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    My brahmas haven't slowed down yet and no I don't add light.

5. L&Schickens

L&Schickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    I have Cream Brabanters and Norwegian Jaerhons that are suposed to be winter layers. But mine are still too young to lay. I will let you knwo how they do next winter!! [​IMG]

6. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    australorps, brahmas, orps, barred rocks, NH reds and speckled sussex all lay like gangbusters around here. Below freezing - often way way below- at night for more than half the year at least. I dont heat anything at all, incl water, but I do keep fourteen hours of light most of year.

7. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    My Black Australorps are still laying pretty well. I do have a light in the coop that gives them a few extra hours of light in the morning.

8. sloallie10

sloallie10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    CA
    I've heard Faverolles

9. Michele

Michele Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2008
    Roachdale, Indiana
    I have always had plenty of eggs from my stars/comets. If they are pullets I will still get atleast one egg a day from them and I don't have additional heat or light on them. I will always have star/comets on my farm because their egg production is what pays for the feed! I didn't think I would like them at first, but they all have different personalities and talk a lot. Don't forget to check your nests often in the winter or the eggs will freeze.
    Michele:)

10. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

I used the list Miss Jayne posted to come up with my breed choices, and indeed my Dels and Favs are still laying well with no supplemental light.

I will say - my Faverolles tend to go broody and be maternal. They lay a medium size egg, the Del eggs are large size. That said, I love their smaller eggs! I had two for breakfast and I swear they are so creamy and ridiculously rich... I really enjoy my Favorelles but they may not suit your needs if broodiness or smaller eggs would be a problem.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by